Engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
josh19866914

josh19866914

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hell. for 20k i could buy a carbed 572 crate engine ready to run and drop it in with a built turbo 400 and call it a day.. one ultimate sleeper. quiet exhaust system till you flick a tiny little switch and the electric cutouts open up on the headers and your ready to roar. but it all depends on your goals.. do you want to keep factory gauges and looks and functionality.. cause changing the fuel deliver system.. usually requires lots of work.. easier to go backwards than forwards if your just looking for performance.. but if you want a dd.. then it changes it all around

i dont really want to be speed racer but if thats what im getting myself into then so be it! really id like to upgrade every part of my engine and engine components. whatever would be worth the money. whatever i can upgrade id like to upgrade. just want the best parts. im not mechanically inclined but ill do research if you guys point me the right way and take all an any advise.

thanks!!

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no more then 20k

That's a good budget to also upgrade supporting equipment like the transmission, and opens up a lot of opportunities.

IMO you would be better served by tapping the GM fullsize community (besides your local builder of course). They have completed some great builds on NNBS trucks and will be a good resource. Not many NNBS members on this board have completed a project of that scale.

Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.

blubaldmontess

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Isn't texas home of Lingerfelter? I'd talk to them, or texas speed. IIRC doesn't the LS9 have the oil canister ect on the outside? For that price, many people could build you the ls3 with a supercharger or a turbo setup, then you could do the tranny and the rearend. Good luck in whatever you decide. When I did the swap of the lq9 into the monte, I thought beyond the engine alone, but also realized that I didn't want to go too far with it.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/

http://www.texas-speed.com/

04ctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as HeMan used to say "knowing is half the battle".....and here is where you need to know about, to find cheap top shelf go-fast parts, most have never even been installed.

http://www.pro-touring.com/forumdisplay.php?46-For-Sale

i have to ask though...why do you want to make a SUV fast?

why not buy a fully built, sorted, ready to run Monte SS with a LSX/T56 conversion?
or a convertible camaro SS with a blower?

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1472/Camaro.html?page=1

you could have it next week, and be driving, instead of taking down your DD SUV for 6 months, and maybe never getting it sorted out.

or a nice Vette?

I have a Grandsport rolling chassis with just 2k miles. It is basically a Z06 with a 6.2/LS3 dry sump motor

i mean, you are putting a lot of $cratch in a deep hole, and it won't be easy to get it out. it's always cheaper to buy something that is 80% of what you want, and change the last 20% to fit you.

and keep the SUV as a DD,
then you can dump the race car when you get bored, and get ~80% of your ca$h back.

for $20 Large, i would be a Bad Dude....we found a ~450 hp BBC in a junk Nova for $3600, fixed it, tuned it, raced it a year, tweaked on it, sold it for $5500.

tell us what are you trying to do exactly? street? strip? grudge? bracket?
stop light to stoplight? and then we can help you spend your money more better/funner :)

mdaniel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
would it it be possible to drop an ls9 engine in my yukon? or any other type of high performance motor? or just stick to upgrading engine parts and other components?
I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

There are several shops in Texas that I'm sure could do a swap for you without issue.

Texas Speed
LG
England Green

and no doubt many others as well.

Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan