Engine stumbling,very odd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coolant temp sensors on older engines should be replaced since they can start to fail by losing their accuracy slowly over time. This can cause the engine to run poorly. A $30 part that has a significant effect on the engine. I have repaired multiple engines of different brands over the years both gas and diesel by installing a new temp sensor. Of course this has no connection to the sensor connected to the dash gauge for engine temp.

good tip.

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more point I should have made: One reason a temp sensor can affect an engine only when it is cold is that if the sensor falsely tells the PCM that the motor is warm when it really is cold, the PCM puts the control system in "closed loop" mode which is the normal mode when at normal operating temperature.

This activates the signals from the O2 sensors and leans the mixture (a warm motor needs less fuel). So a cold engine running lean is gonna barely run and the O2 sensors cannot compensate for the lack of fuel.

The exhaust temperature is also too cold to make the O2 sensors work correctly (some O2 sensors have built-in heaters, but won't make up for a cold motor at first start-up). I hope this makes sense.
Larry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st tahoe