Engine shut off while driving after Refueling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tlwarren08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Last night I had just finished refueling, I was leaving the parking and resetting my Trip and the motor just shut off. I sat there confused and thought maybe I accidentally shut it off by pushing the ignition button. It fired up no issue, but as I stopped at the stop sign to turn, it shut off again. I restarted it, it struggled a little bit idled and then died again, I started it again but it immediately shut off again and sounded very rough. I waited about 10-15 seconds and it started up and was idling under 500 rpm, I stayed light on the throttle and it felt like it had ZERO power once I was able to get onto the road. I made a loop on the shoulder staying near the stores and at the stops all seemed fine, drove it home and then to work today with no issues. Very strange and concerning incident seeing how it initially shut off while driving! Luckily not at highway speeds. Anyone else had/heard of this issue?

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was the tank totally empty before you refilled it? There might have been some air trapped in the fuel line. Or perhaps some sediment or water in the bottom of the tank was disturbed upon filling, and got sucked up. Just guessing.

The only other thing I can think of is that the introduction of cold fuel into the ambient-temperature fuel tank created an intermittent electrical issue with the fuel pump, or its circuit. I've heard it is common for a fuel pump to fail immediately after a fill-up for this reason. My own experience is similar. I filled up my old Expedition one day, and got one start cycle out of it before the pump quit.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Was the tank totally empty before you refilled it? There might have been some air trapped in the fuel line. Or perhaps some sediment or water in the bottom of the tank was disturbed upon filling, and got sucked up. Just guessing.

The only other thing I can think of is that the introduction of cold fuel into the ambient-temperature fuel tank created an intermittent electrical issue with the fuel pump, or its circuit. I've heard it is common for a fuel pump to fail immediately after a fill-up for this reason. My own experience is similar. I filled up my old Expedition one day, and got one start cycle out of it before the pump quit.
I never knew that was the reason they usually fail right after filling up. Happened to me too.

OP
OP
T

Tlwarren08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

It only had about 30 miles to empty, and that is interesting to know about the electrical issue. But as of now its day 3 and no other issues so idk...

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i never let my vehicles go below 1/4 of a tank. even with whatever baffles are in the tank it doesn't completely stop gas from sloshing around. plus i hate doing fuel pumps so anything to help keep that from happening.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score

JeffL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Last night I had just finished refueling, I was leaving the parking and resetting my Trip and the motor just shut off. I sat there confused and thought maybe I accidentally shut it off by pushing the ignition button. It fired up no issue, but as I stopped at the stop sign to turn, it shut off again. I restarted it, it struggled a little bit idled and then died again, I started it again but it immediately shut off again and sounded very rough. I waited about 10-15 seconds and it started up and was idling under 500 rpm, I stayed light on the throttle and it felt like it had ZERO power once I was able to get onto the road. I made a loop on the shoulder staying near the stores and at the stops all seemed fine, drove it home and then to work today with no issues. Very strange and concerning incident seeing how it initially shut off while driving! Luckily not at highway speeds. Anyone else had/heard of this issue?
Id put a bottle of heet in that tank. As a habit, I dump one in once a month. And defntly keep a 1/4 tank at all times. The fuel is actually what lubricates the in tank fuel pumps. I personally keep my rigs half full at all times.

16rgs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen. It was intermittent. I only had 2500 miles on my 18 Tahoe. Same thing after getting gas. When it happens again, mine did, hit onstar. They can tell you the code. Mine wound up being the coil and injector. The dealer keep swapping wires from cylinder to cylinder. Eventually it coded. I owned 4Runners since 1999 and never had problem one. I still feel a miss when stopped but the dealer says he can't find anything wrong. Good LUCK!!!

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
My yukon did that a couple times, changed the fuel pump 3yrs later no issues.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score

that is why you never let it go to Empty
sucking up air will burn up the fuel pump as well..

you know the fuel pump is sitting submerged inside of the gas.. Yes thermal shock.

I keep my FULL at all times because of

PRICE is unstable...

you know I still got 15.5 gallons of gas in there from when I paid 3.599 (current price 4.099) I paid 9 gallons at 4.099 today.....
when the gas gets close to 3.59 i'l use it all tell i can get cheaper fuel...(no less then 1/4) so i don't take too much of a loss

I figure I could minimize my costs by doing so...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n