Engine running hot after transmission cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vmarcial27

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hello guys , so i installed a tru-cool maz 4000 transmission cooler on my 04 tahoe. After i installed i noticed engine running hot when at a red light or for long periods of times on hot days. When can i do about it?

IMG_0420.JPG IMG_0444.JPG

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you bypass the radiator's transmission cooler? Have you verified the integrity of your fan(s)? Might consider dropping it down a few inches so the radiator gets more direct airflow. Others will chime in.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how old is your radiator? my personal opinion is to replace them after 5 years they get clogged up inside, I have had the exact same problem before: getting heated at a stop or slow heavy traffic, replaced radiator and problem gone. I can't tell from your picture but there are also 2 size radiators that fit in these trucks, if it is the smaller one you can easily upgrade to the bigger one by just changing the fan shroud and of course the bigger radiator, the frame will accept either one and the existing transmission cooler lines/coolant hoses will still fit as well. the fan clutch could be another thing to check also, but if you weren't having problems before installing the trans cooler then it could just be the radiator is not up to ***** and is now rearing it's head.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would go with swaths comment and drop it down a bit. currently your dead center of your radiator. the trans cooler does flow air through it as intended but it does also disrupt some of the air flow. the center of the radiator is also where most of the cooling happens.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would go with swaths comment and drop it down a bit. currently your dead center of your radiator. the trans cooler does flow air through it as intended but it does also disrupt some of the air flow. the center of the radiator is also where most of the cooling happens.
I have mine in almost the exact same spot, doesn't run hot

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there you have it you only have a couple other options left. if he has one like yours in the same spot there are only a few other suggestions that were already made. best places to start if you have a new problem that didnt exist before is anything related to what you worked on. one has already been ruled out.

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there you have it you only have a couple other options left. if he has one like yours in the same spot there are only a few other suggestions that were already made. best places to start if you have a new problem that didnt exist before is anything related to what you worked on. one has already been ruled out.
Could be that OP is in a different climate from the poster above you. 20 degree ambient temp difference will do a lot!

I do agree with swathdiver that putting it right in the middle obstructs some airflow to the radiator and what air does get through is significantly heated by the trans-cooler.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go back to the original aux trans cooler and see if it's still running warm. If it's not, then your problem is obvious, the larger aux cooler is interfering with the radiator's ability to cool.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my temp never budges, it only budged up a little recently at 8000-9000 feet altitude, temp was around 75deg, doing about 85-90 up a upgrade then quickly returned to normal (trans temp only went up to about 174), I am normally at less than 1000 ft altitude but it gets over 100deg regularly and I can sit and idle with the AC on all day long temp never moves, same if I am driving 125mph for a extended period temp doesn't budge. I was concerned that my temp even budged at that altitude first time that has ever happened I have made that trip several times and temp never moved on my nbs either, the trans temp would go up some though which is part of the reason why I added the truecool to the nnbs. I drive up north to Oregon and that altitude is about 6000-6500 feet max and temp doesn't move no matter how hard I push it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972