Engine running a little warm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to top it off and I have a leak. Got to replace the radiator now. Going to do that, electric fan, and trans cooler all at once. Is there any reason not to bypass the coolant through the throttle body? It's a pain to have to pull it to pull the manifold and it will clean up the engine bay some. There's going to be a lot more room with the efan
I wouldn't bypass the throttle body, my guess is it keeps it cool to increase power.

OP
OP
E

EfiniMotorsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In every other car I've had or heard of the coolant is there to warm the throttle body on very cold days. It can theoretically freeze up if it gets cold enough. I've bypassed it on most of my cars to keep it running cooler and never had an issue. It's a common mod on almost any performance vehicle and helps clean things up and makes them easier to work on. I just wanted to know if anyone knew any specific reason to keep it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's just to keep the tb warm and was only used for a short period, only tip I can give is to get a quality radiator some of the cheap aftermarket ones do not have the restriction on the port to the coolant tank so too much coolant flows into the overflow and the engine never gets up to correct temps. that particular issue has come up often on here lately.

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In every other car I've had or heard of the coolant is there to warm the throttle body on very cold days. It can theoretically freeze up if it gets cold enough. I've bypassed it on most of my cars to keep it running cooler and never had an issue. It's a common mod on almost any performance vehicle and helps clean things up and makes them easier to work on. I just wanted to know if anyone knew any specific reason to keep it.
Interesting, I've had cars both ways, and never given it much thought. I always figured you wanted the air to be as cool as possible, but never heard of the possibility of the throttle body freezing up in cold weather. I know on carbureted cars they would pull hot air off the manifold in cold weather, but that's a carburetor.

OP
OP
E

EfiniMotorsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Similar idea. The problem with carbs is the fuel gets very cold as it expands into the intake and can actually "freeze" the intake. In fuel injection the fuel is much deeper in the intact tract so its not an issue. When i swap the radiator I'm just going to cap the lines

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s actually a write up on the TB coolant bypass, some people actually think you can gain hp by bypassing it. I did it just to clean things up.

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Similar idea. The problem with carbs is the fuel gets very cold as it expands into the intake and can actually "freeze" the intake. In fuel injection the fuel is much deeper in the intact tract so its not an issue. When i swap the radiator I'm just going to cap the lines
I'm always reluctant to modify things unless I fully understand what's going on, (that being the case here) because there is always a reason for things. Thanks for the explanation.

OP
OP
E

EfiniMotorsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I build custom cars and boats for a living. Most of the time things are done the same on cars even between different makes. Almost all of it is a compromise done to work for the average consumer in most environments and to be economical for the manufacturer. They don't know if a given vehicle is going to Florida or Alaska so they need to work for everyone everywhere.

OP
OP
E

EfiniMotorsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most marine technology is 10 year old car technology that they paint black and charge 3x the price for

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyetheguy93