Employee Pricing---is this legit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dcayman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me what the story is with Employee pricing discounts? Is this real or just a marketing ploy?

Fyi...I found a dealer online advertising a great deal on a 2017 Yukon Denali. However when I called the
saleswomen asked if I had some type of employee voucher. When I said no, she proceeded to quote me a ridiculous price.

There have been times when local dealers ran ads stating employee discounts for everyone. So I thought that was just a marketing ploy.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

schaffer05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's real. If you ask to see their invoice they can actually show you what the employee price, supplier price, etc.

Sometimes chevy offers supplier pricing for everyone, sometimes employee, just depends on how they need to move vehicles. That's why Chevy resale sucks imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nj16yukon

Reaction score
I think this is a shady practice and I see a lot of dealers doing this. I walked into one showroom that had a super-low price marked on a Denali XL. Turns out you would have had to qualify for every single rebate imaginable. My price would have been about 5k higher as I recall. Needless to say, I didn't buy from them.

Sorry I can't help on the employee discount question, but here's my $.02...I personally don't trust any "employee discount price". Or any so-called "invoice" price. I think many of these are gimmicks to lock in the consumer, and save the dealer from having to negotiate. The only price I trust is MSRP. Do your research and go into the deal with an idea of % off MSRP that you want to spend. There's a prices paid thread and several members here have done very well. Good luck!

Illnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about employee pricing but I used some discount my girlfriend had at her job for GM vehicles. My purchase never got processed as such but I used it as a bargaining chip in my favor.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Employee pricing and supplier pricing are legit. Some manufacturers call this A Plan or X Plan or something similar. Keep in mind that these pricing schemes may or may not give you the best deal. Also keep in mind that your price should also be reduced by any eligible rebates.

Finally, depending upon the time of month or year, the dealer may be motivated to push the vehicle out the door in order to hit a target number. That said, you may be able to do better than these pricing plans.

Other pricing sources to consider are Cars.com, True Car, USAA, AAA, BJs Wholesale Club and COSTCO.

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with @nj16yukon. "Employee pricing" is just as abstract as invoice or 0% financing. Focus on out the door price before anything else. Just because they say you don't qualify for a "deal" it doesn't mean that you can't work one out. A dealer never not responds to an offer.

nj16yukon

Reaction score
Some manufacturers call this A Plan or X Plan or something similar. Keep in mind that these pricing schemes may or may not give you the best deal.

This is exactly right. My wife had the X-Plan with a previous employer who was affiliated with Ford. In our case we were able to negotiate better pricing without even mentioning X-Plan. All depends on the vehicle, market, timing, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amendez