Elusive engine oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't keep putting oil in it at $8/qt. I'll never have to change the oil but it's a hellova mess and I worry about it lighting up on the exhaust. Glad I'm 2WD, too. Gonna be replacing the oil pan gasket when I drop the trans.

Looks like the front seal too there. And if your going that far the timing chain and stuff.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same leak. It seems like the rms is leaking and the oil is running along the lip of the oil pan and then dripping out at both corners: under the oil filter and under the starter. Oil pan is also leaking from the front but the deluge is definitely rear engine, unfortunately. Pretty sure it the rms. I've just been in denial because I'm not looking forward to wrestling the trans. Please let me know what you find.
Where are you located? I've not performed this task myself, but I bet an extra pair of hands would be helpful.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same leak. It seems like the rms is leaking and the oil is running along the lip of the oil pan and then dripping out at both corners: under the oil filter and under the starter. Oil pan is also leaking from the front but the deluge is definitely rear engine, unfortunately. Pretty sure it the rms. I've just been in denial because I'm not looking forward to wrestling the trans. Please let me know what you find.
self lubricating chassis...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan