ELSD on Tahoe: 2021 vs 2023

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomsegers

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all - first time poster here. I've done a search on the ELSD and while a number of threads popped up, I found nothing regarding the specific issue I'm facing.
Background: I work for an off-road park in the UAE and we are partnered with Chevrolet. We have 2021 Tahoe Z71's and have put them through their paces. Each customer that buys a new Tahoe gets a 4 hour course with me in the park.
We have an axle twister that gets wheels about 2 feet in the air. The rear ELSD on the 2021 Z71 does an amazing job when in 4L - almost acting like a locker at below 4km/h. However, when customers in their 2022 & 2023 Tahoe Z71's try it, there is a lot of wheel spin and most struggle to get through the obstacle - almost as if the ELSD is not kicking in at all. Has anyone experienced anything similar? I've raised this to Chevrolet and we'll be going to the park next week to do some experimenting but thought I'd see if any of you guys have similar experience?

Thanks,

Tom

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn’t know the 21 z71’s had elsd
i thought that was just the gmc at4 in 21.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tomsegers

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
These are the GCC / Middle East spec so perhaps a little different? I have confirmed with the dealer here that it has ELSD for 2021 models and up (only Z71).

H1Chester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only the Middle East 2021 Z71 has the eLSD. Not available in the United States unless you had the 2021 AT4. eLSD not an option for the Z71 until the 2022 model year. In order to get it, you had to buy the Z71 Off Road package which included the adjustable air ride suspension.

OP
OP
T

tomsegers

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Only the Middle East 2021 Z71 has the eLSD. Not available in the United States unless you had the 2021 AT4. eLSD not an option for the Z71 until the 2022 model year. In order to get it, you had to buy the Z71 Off Road package which included the adjustable air ride suspension.
That's correct. The Z71 here only comes with the air suspension, you don't have any other option. We're fairly limited with custom options and specs here, and the local dealers will put a lot of options on the Z71 package to justify a higher price tag. Dealer confirmed that 2021 has E-LSD and going with them this week to the off-road park to do some testing on why it handles differently than the newer models.

kv7500

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's correct. The Z71 here only comes with the air suspension, you don't have any other option. We're fairly limited with custom options and specs here, and the local dealers will put a lot of options on the Z71 package to justify a higher price tag. Dealer confirmed that 2021 has E-LSD and going with them this week to the off-road park to do some testing on why it handles differently than the newer models.
Curious, did you find anything out on this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT

Latest posts