E85...any reason Not to use it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wolfbraid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're running around town any form of E85 is great but for long trips you want the range and availability which isn't as easy as just picking any exit as a desire to run long distances on Ethanol requires thorough planning to identify stations that carry it and will be open when you pass through.

I agree with around town I use flexfuel(range varies from e-10 to e85) straight e85(nor is e30) isn't available near me(that I can find) on the highway tips, it's 87 all day for fuel econ.

Our trip from NC to FL recently on the way down the ethanol sensor didn't get below 20%, with a fill up at start with regular(last tank had been almost 75%ethanol) dropped it to 20%, then 5%when we got to FL) The trip back was a 1.2% the whole way.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2009 Yukon
5.3 with AFM disabled via Range
150,000 miles
Oil changes at 3000 - 4000 miles. Mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic with Nape gold filter.
No leaks. No lifter ticks.

On my second full tank of E85.
Have not noticed any mpg drop. Average still hangs at 14.5 mpg.
Power seems good. Engine is smooth.
I like saving $11-$12.00 per fill.

Is there any reason to Not continuing to use E85?

that average does not budge even after 2500 miles it still has not moved an inch despite getting better fuel mileage..
but it was last reset about 40,000 miles ago... miles 86500 actual

water is attracted to ethanol that is a reason why not to use it

so unless you can burn water like the sun can burn it, it could do damage
(Trying to put out the sun with water just adds more fuel to the fire..)

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
water is attracted to ethanol that is a reason why not to use it

Brent, I hear folks talk about water in the tank all the time. 49 tanks of FlexFuel since October 2017 and ONLY FlexFuel since October 2018 and the motor runs like a top and there's no fuel, water or coolant in the oil. 678 gallons since last October and no issues. I think those issues are overblown.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brent, I hear folks talk about water in the tank all the time. 49 tanks of FlexFuel since October 2017 and ONLY FlexFuel since October 2018 and the motor runs like a top and there's no fuel, water or coolant in the oil. 678 gallons since last October and no issues. I think those issues are overblown.

really? i have to drain a gallon of water out of my tank every morning before i leave the house :rolleyes:

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you don't burn threw tanks of gas(there for the gas would be "clean") then it could be a bad choice... or if it will be left sitting for quite while... I live in the desert not really an issue...
dryness is our middle name....

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you don't burn threw tanks of gas(there for the gas would be "clean") then it could be a bad choice... or if it will be left sitting for quite while... I live in the desert not really an issue...
dryness is our middle name....

I've had the truck sit for nearly a month at a time with a 1/4 tank or less at times when I was sick/bedridden. Those were 70-80% alcohol content tanks too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts