DVD screen upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluebear15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a '06 Tahoe Z71 with Bose with the rear DVD. I was wondering if anyone has upgraded the screen on them before and kept the stock player. Wasn't sure what would all be involved but would be nice to have an updated screen with better resolution.

OP
OP
B

bluebear15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any input on this? Or has anyone ever replaced the factory unit with an aftermarket unit? Wondering whats all involved

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not a techy guy but I'm interested for the "for future reference" files... but it looks like (from the lack of response) you may be the guinea pig... pop it apart, see what's in there, and see what may be available to fit the same size & connections... then order one and see what happens when you plug it in!

Crippin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the factory DVD player with a 15” monitor by Tview. It’s pretty decent quality and a pretty big upgrade. For the DVD part I put in a Power Acoustik DVD player model PADVD390 and ran a set of rca splitters with one set going to the monitor and the other to the indash. I can play the movie through both and listen to it through the speakers or just the monitor with the wireless headphones. Mounting it was pretty easy, I took the mounting plate from the new monitor and lined up the holes on the factory bracket and drilled the holes in the new mounting plate to match and just used the factory hardware.

Crippin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to mention I control all the dvd functions from the front with the DVD player now and that’s much easier than reaching behind me trying to find buttons lol

OP
OP
B

bluebear15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the factory DVD player with a 15” monitor by Tview. It’s pretty decent quality and a pretty big upgrade. For the DVD part I put in a Power Acoustik DVD player model PADVD390 and ran a set of rca splitters with one set going to the monitor and the other to the indash. I can play the movie through both and listen to it through the speakers or just the monitor with the wireless headphones. Mounting it was pretty easy, I took the mounting plate from the new monitor and lined up the holes on the factory bracket and drilled the holes in the new mounting plate to match and just used the factory hardware.

Did you have the factory dvd player that was off to the side of the screen? If so, how did the aftermarket one you got fit to fill the hole?

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Not to mention I control all the dvd functions from the front with the DVD player now and that’s much easier than reaching behind me trying to find buttons lol

Crippin87 can you post some pictures, thx

Crippin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you have the factory dvd player that was off to the side of the screen? If so, how did the aftermarket one you got fit to fill the hole?
Yes I had the one that went to the side. There will be the smaller hole to the side still visible but because the monitor is so big it will cover the other hole entirely. The only way I know to cover the hole is to redo the headliner and not cut it out. I did take some pics for reference hopefully it helps. I don’t have one of the monitor mounted I removed it to do some other stuff and haven’t put it back in yet.

0874536F-D68F-40B6-9940-837C3C49EF18.jpeg E886D1EB-4D1B-4B75-9A08-BFF3AF673C3A.jpeg A3D55818-7EAE-4154-82A4-68D4E62C757B.jpeg 7617940D-515F-4D96-9FBF-1208710F15E4.jpeg 0DA27FD3-F2D2-4B38-A98C-A7A9A21892E5.jpeg

Crippin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, for the dvd drive I gutted the old 6 cd changer and used the housing for the mount. I was able to take it apart and place the DVD player inside of it. I did have to Dremel the back a little bit for the rca cables to go through but it was pretty easy and gave the perfect fit.
Crippin87 can you post some pictures, thx

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Yes I had the one that went to the side. There will be the smaller hole to the side still visible but because the monitor is so big it will cover the other hole entirely. The only way I know to cover the hole is to redo the headliner and not cut it out. I did take some pics for reference hopefully it helps. I don’t have one of the monitor mounted I removed it to do some other stuff and haven’t put it back in yet.

View attachment 203002 View attachment 203003 View attachment 203004 View attachment 203005 View attachment 203006
You could always make an insert for the hole and cover it with headliner material. Just pop it in the hole. At least you won't have to look at that hole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick