! Dual battery setup I am planning on !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

saif najd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi every one,

I was searching fo4 the best way to do the dual battery setup the winter is just around the corner and I have to be ready :)

So the plan is to buy this Australian part as you can see (isolator)

DBi140R-1.jpg

What I liked about this is the low voltage and the functions too

More to pictures:

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff231/ez616/DBi140R-6.jpg

DBi140R-5.jpg

And this the plan I liked for installation:

ABR---SIDEWINDER-120A-PG2-1.jpg

The questions I have are:
1- do I understand that it will charge it self (the second battery )?
2- what kind of harm are we talking about? (If there is any)
3- If I used this setup iam not going to drain the main battery? (By using the sec battery)
4- can I use continues liad on the second battery and running the car at the same time? (Like e-fan)

What are the benefits out of this setup?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 AM ----------

Sorry if iam repeating the subject but the oldest not showing the pictures and I am talking about this setup only

---------- Post added at 01:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 AM ----------

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
It will do what you are expecting however I would lean more to solid state devices when rated for that much amperage. Also typically to to not fry a battery in hot weather from overcharging the voltage outputs of alternators put on this vehicles will decrease as the surrounding temperature goes up. As a result you may not always reach the 13.2 trigger to close the relays where you live. Nothing to worry about much but keep it in consideration. you should be able to use continous load on both. By design tho if the primary battery circuit drops to 12.4vdc it will cut off the auxiliary battery from the primary. You can still drain the two of them separately of course with out one effecting the other. Please keep your e-fan power supply as the main battery. Never hook primary cooling fans to a secondary source unless redundancy provisions are put into place in case of electrical faults in the secondary system.

barney91

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Why don't you guys ditch the isolator, as long as you fuse both ends of the positive you are good, i have always ran multiple batts in one car without a problem.I'm a big car audio guy

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
It does not accomplish what is trying to be done when you simply wire them in parallel with just fuses in some cases. For you if you have multiple amps and you want a lot of running time then yes parallel the damn things but you should always have your audio batteries isolated in some way from the rest of the vehicle system unless you have a secondary charging system just for audio related power bank. Otherwise when running your radio amps a long time you can kill your pcm and starter power if they are just paralleled to the vehicles main battery without isolation.

barney91

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What is it your trying to do by isolating the two batteries, also how would it hurt my pcm? I'm running all the batts together, and all are being charged by the same alt

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
By isolating batteries you can drain one with out touch the other. For Example you can have a starting battery and a deep cycle battery where you can runs say camp lights till the auxiliary battery is really low but the starting battery is left untouched with no drainage from using the auxiliary battery and they both get charged by the same alternator. If you setup works for you then good but it is not ideal. If the battery voltage to the PCM gets to low it will lose it fuel trim values and will have to relearn them. This may cause some performance issues for a while until the pcm has relearned them thru driving cycles.

OP
OP
saif najd

saif najd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By isolating batteries you can drain one with out touch the other. For Example you can have a starting battery and a deep cycle battery where you can runs say camp lights till the auxiliary battery is really low but the starting battery is left untouched with no drainage from using the auxiliary battery and they both get charged by the same alternator. If you setup works for you then good but it is not ideal. If the battery voltage to the PCM gets to low it will lose it fuel trim values and will have to relearn them. This may cause some performance issues for a while until the pcm has relearned them thru driving cycles.

True, do you recommend any US made isolator can stand around 200 amp?

OP
OP
saif najd

saif najd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Important question, what fuse should I use for the battery?

If I have an 85amp batteries and a 124amp alter?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2