Driver Side Lumbar Support Replacement Writeup - 2007 Escalade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aerocoupe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't post on here very much as you guys usually have already been there and done that but this is one that I have not found much info on let alone any pictures on getting this done.

I called the GMC dealership and gave them the last eight digits of the VIN and they looked up the part and list is $306.50. I found it on GMPartsDirect.com for about $217 and called the dealer back to see if they would price match and they would including that shipping. So I was out the door at about $239 plus tax. P/N for mine was 20763139 but double check this is the one that fits your ride.

Getting the seat back cover off was a pain but once I got it off I can do it in a few minutes now. There is a map /article holder as part of this plastic back. I pulled down carefully on the plastic seat back until I could release the 2 plastic hooks holding the seat back cover to the top frame of the seat. Then you can reach down into the back of the seat and release the other hooks holding the plastic on. There are two on each side and then the bottom ones will release with a little giggle once all the other ones are released. To reinstall it was as easy as putting it back in place and gently pushing at the clip locations.

I started taking pictures after I got the back off, released the seat cover plastic clips from the seat frame, pushed the lower lumbar support clips out of the seat frame (they are the white ones at the bottom), and disconnected the wiring harness. All of that is pretty straight forward. One word of warning is if you have a headed seat remember to disconnect this and get the clip holding the wiring harness removed from the seat frame (this was a pain in the ass but once I got figured it out it was no biggie). This is where I had the upper seat cover released from the frame and had pulled the foam and lower portion of the cover from between the upper seat and lower seat:

DriverSeatwithUpperSeatCushionReleasedfromFrame_zpsb34c7d34.gif

I left the head rest installed and chose to simply lift the cover up to gain access to the lumbar support. Before I could do this I had to unplug the upper seat heater so if you do not have this then it is a bit easier:

UpperSeatHeatingElementandPigtail_zps686d2410.gif

Once I got this released the seat cover came up like this:

DriverSeatwithUpperSeatCushionRemovedfromFrame_zps57fa666b.gif

As you can tell this is after I removed the old lumbar support but it was raining off an on this morning so I was not 100% on the spot with the pictures. I had the lower lumbar support clips already pushed out of the seat frame (again the white push in clips) so now you lift the lumbar support from the bottom and let it pivot at the top to about 90 degrees. Pull down at the top and then lower the bottom and pull down again and it will come out.
This is a picture from the back of the seat with the lumbar support removed:

DriverSeatwithRearCoverRemovedandLumbarSupportRemoved_zpsa9e85932.gif

So with the support removed I put it on the garage floor to compare to the new one and everything matched up.

Old broken one:

OldLumbarSupportwithCrackedFrame_zps846ea5fc.gif

Close up of the cracked metal frame and another note is that the gears in the motors were broken as well:

OldLumbarSupport-CracksUpClose_zps9825f4e5.gif

Here is the new replacement and you can see the black ends on the top of the supports. These require you to push the tips into the holes in the seat frame, then pivot the assembly up 90 degrees and push up on them again and then lower the assembly:

NewLumbarSupport_zpsadf4cc15.gif

To install the new support you lift the seat cover back up and push the top supports back into the holes in the upper seat frame. Here are a couple of pictures of this:

Not installed:

NewLumbarSupportTopSupportsNexttoHolesinFrame_zpse5f4979c.gif

Installed:

NewLumbarSupportTopSupportsInsertedIntoHolesinFrame_zps2eed868d.gif

Top supports installed but bottom supports (white clips on botttom of lumbar assembly) not pushed into lower portion of seat frame:

NewLumbarSupportWithTopSupportsInstalled-FrontView_zps247dae0b.gif

From the back of the seat this is with the lumbar assembly installed at the top only. Look at the bottom of the picture and you will see the lower portion of the seat frame:

NewLumbarSupportWithTopSupportsInstalled-BackView_zpscf28afcf.gif

Same view only with the lower lumbar assembly support pushed through the holes it in the seat frame:

NewLumbarSupportWithTopampBottomSupportsInstalled-BackView_zps466748bf.gif

Once you have it that far now you have to connect the wiring harness to the upper seat recline if you have this option. The factory has a zip tie wrapped around the connector as this would suck to have to go into the seat for just to reconnect this so I put another one back on:

MotorforUpperSeatRecline_zpsa3162825.gif

On the opposite side as the recline motor is the limit switch for the recline motor so this has to be connected as well:

PositionSensorforUpperSeatRecline_zps7f291260.gif

Once you are to this point you can start the process of getting the upper seat cover back on the seat frame but be sure to get the side bolster foam inserted properly back into the seat frame:

UpperSeatFoamInsertedIntoUpperSeatFrame_zps23634a48.gif

Remember if you have the seat heater to get that electrical pigtail back between the upper and lower seat cushions and then tuck the lower seat back foam and upholstery between them as well:

UpperSeatLowerFoamandUpholsteryPulledThroughandReadytoInstall_zpsa089aa0f.gif

Now you should be able to fasten all the upholstery clips for the upper seat cover back to the seat frame and install the seat cover for the back of the seat.

I tested the lumbar support prior to putting the cover back on just to be sure and it worked great. Hope this helps someone out that wants to save a couple hundred dollars rather than having the dealership do it.

Darren

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Aerocoupe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After driving it around the last couple of days this thing has been jacked up for a couple of years now. The seat back is much more supportive now so much that I had to readjust the seat settings and save them so that when I unlock the truck it does not go back to the old settings. Well worth the $250ish if you ask me.

Darren

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone said that the replacement unit used metal gears, but the original one he had plastic gears. Did you note that or was that not accurate?

Aerocoupe, Do you fly an aerocoupe (ercoupe) aircraft, or is that just a snazzy name?

John

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do remember hearing of the Ford Aerocoupe... its been a while, but now that I see pix it is ringing a bell...

Thanks

John

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driver's side lumbar adjustment is pretty much dead on my wife's newly acquired 07 Tahoe LTZ. Passenger side works fine.

I was thinking whether it would be possible to fix it the easy way by just swapping the working one from the other side. Anybody have any idea if the left and right mechanisms are the same or not?

Had the same exact issue with her old 07 Escalade about 4 years ago. Opened the seatback and did some poking around, but eventually took it to the dealer to get fixed. IIRC, it cost close to 500 bucks, so trying to go cheaper route this time...

Any comments and ideas are appreciated.

doc_sun

Scotcher
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Driver's side lumbar adjustment is pretty much dead on my wife's newly acquired 07 Tahoe LTZ. Passenger side works fine.

I was thinking whether it would be possible to fix it the easy way by just swapping the working one from the other side. Anybody have any idea if the left and right mechanisms are the same or not?

Had the same exact issue with her old 07 Escalade about 4 years ago. Opened the seatback and did some poking around, but eventually took it to the dealer to get fixed. IIRC, it cost close to 500 bucks, so trying to go cheaper route this time...

Any comments and ideas are appreciated.

If you're still considering swapping... Yesterday I successfully swapped the driver and passenger side lumbars. There is a difference between the two- I found this info on another forum:

"My drivers side was different from the passenger side in that it had limit switches on the gear covers which were plastic. The passenger side has metal covers. I swapped covers from side to side and also swapped the central metal dowel out from side to side. The plastic cover has a longer dowel pin in center. Other than that the two sides are identical. Once you swap the plastic covers and dowel pins you are ready to reinstall the mechanism. Not sure why the passenger side doesn't have limit switches like the drivers seat. If the limit switches are there to prevent the gears from breaking--they don't work."

That said, I did not swap the gear covers on mine, and everything works fine. The limit switches, as the guy put it, seem to do nothing at all. There were two additional electrical connections for these on the drivers side, so I just taped them up and tucked them away. I tested all functions of both seats and everything is good. Took about an hour altogether with just a flathead screwdriver and needle noses to release the clips.

Many thanks to @Aerocoupe for the terrific writeup.

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I might try to do it sometime, too, then.

oldtimer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Darren,
I am working on my 07 Yukon with similar seat issue.
Can you reload photos (or update link) in your photobucket?

Thanks
Geoff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n