Driveline noise wtf?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any idea's?

Put the stethoscope on the driveshaft and tail shaft of the trans. I'm thinking u-joint too or a chipped tooth or spline. Shouldn't be anything in the driveshaft tube but that cardboard but what if a booger weld fell off and started bouncing around? The test for that is to put the driveshaft on a driveshaft balancer and spin it up.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
another video, lot of wind noise but at 1:28-2:10 you can hear it and again at 4:00

I’m glad you didn’t drop your phone. Although...it certainly would have given me a chuckle. :Big Laugh:

I had a rear U-Joint break on me once (on a ‘93 Wrangler) with no signs that it was failing. The driveshaft ended up whipping around beating everything up. It was rather amusing. It was a I-6 and I pulled the muffler and put dual exhaust on, so maybe I simply couldn’t hear that ticking noise that you have.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I have never heard anything like that before, I'm inclined to think it is universal joint related, rather than driveshaft related.
if this was the case I would think the noise would be centered around a u-joint then but this noise is coming from the shaft, which is why I moved the camera from end to end to see if the noise was more at one end than the other.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put the stethoscope on the driveshaft and tail shaft of the trans. I'm thinking u-joint too or a chipped tooth or spline. Shouldn't be anything in the driveshaft tube but that cardboard but what if a booger weld fell off and started bouncing around? The test for that is to put the driveshaft on a driveshaft balancer and spin it up.
i'm going to pull it out thursday and go from there

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m glad you didn’t drop your phone. Although...it certainly would have given me a chuckle. :Big Laugh:

I had a rear U-Joint break on me once (on a ‘93 Wrangler) with no signs that it was failing. The driveshaft ended up whipping around beating everything up. It was rather amusing. It was a I-6 and I pulled the muffler and put dual exhaust on, so maybe I simply couldn’t hear that ticking noise that you have.
I had a pretty good grip on my phone lol

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad that you found the source and fixed it. The hollow drive shaft must have worked kind of like a speaker, and projected the noise all along it, thus giving you the noise all along it, when you were checking it out to find the source.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad that you found the source and fixed it. The hollow drive shaft must have worked kind of like a speaker, and projected the noise all along it, thus giving you the noise all along it, when you were checking it out to find the source.
exactly what I thinking, still weird as hell lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14