Drive Side Window Troubleshooting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hulk66049

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2001 GMC Yukon XL 1500. Last September the front driver's side door window stopped working. I attempted to do some troubleshooting, and finally ended up buying a replacement window regulator for it from 1a auto. I got the part replaced and the window returned to normal functionality. This lasted a couple of months and then the window stopped working again. I have some other weird issues that I suspect were related to the switches on the door and I'll briefly describe them, although my intention isn't to try and fix them in this thread (planning to create separate ones).

1. The front drivers window controls will roll the right read window down, but not up. To roll it up, you have to use the right rear control which works fine in both directions.

2. The mirror adjustment controls seem really slow to respond, but specifically, I can adjust the mirrors (both sides) left, right, and down, but the controls will not adjust the mirrors up.

Since I suspected the switch may be bad, I bought a used front drivers controls from a local guy who parts these vehicles out. I bought the controls home, swapped them out with the used one I bought, and nothing changed. Front driver's window still won't go down, mirrors won't go up, and the rear passenger window will go down, but not up. I went ahead and put the original controls back in the door.

Since the regulator I bought back in September was still under warranty I contacted 1a auto and they shipped out a replacement. I installed it this morning and before I put the door panel back on, I hooked up with switches and I was able to roll the Front Drivers window down, but not up. So I grabbed the replacement switch and hooked it up, and now I had full control over the window both up and down.

I then reassembled the door panel and hooked up all the controls, but once I had everything back together the window was no longer working again.

I'm really at a lose here for what might be going on and curious if anyone has any suggestions as to what my issue might be, or tips for troubleshooting and tracking down exactly where the issue might be.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unplug the drivers window motor (2 wire plug). Use your test light grounded well. Probe the 2 wires one at a time coming from the switch try each pin while you move window switch up then down. Did the light light? Now you know a couple things- which wire is up, which is down. If you had to wiggle switch or try a couple times the switch is likely failing or loose connection. No problem there? Likely the motor. Can put power to the motor using 2 wires one pos one neg. Swap the pins for up and down. Window switch is 6 wires doing same thing you just did. Simple if ya think about it.

OP
OP
H

hulk66049

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I tore the door back apart to try and check all of my connections again, and realized what a stupid mistake I'd made. I tested the new regulator before reassembly by hooking up the controls and everything worked. I then disconnected all of my connections so I could replace the plastic sheet and started reassembly. What I missed was I failed to connect the window motor back up after testing. :(

Once I realized that, I reconnected it, tested again, everything worked, and I put it all back together.

I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this, but you live and learn.

Bear77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Live and learn! Probably won’t make that mistake again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I tore the door back apart to try and check all of my connections again, and realized what a stupid mistake I'd made. I tested the new regulator before reassembly by hooking up the controls and everything worked. I then disconnected all of my connections so I could replace the plastic sheet and started reassembly. What I missed was I failed to connect the window motor back up after testing. :(

Once I realized that, I reconnected it, tested again, everything worked, and I put it all back together.

I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this, but you live and learn.

Reminds me of the time I fixed a friend's lock cable and left the flashlight inside the door cavity. Had it all buttoned up and couldn't find the light, so off came the door panel again! :oops:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu