DPR - Are these good results?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill D

Reaction score
Some piece of S%^& put a 5 inch long crease and oil can dent in the left rear door of our Tahoe in the parking lot where my wife works and didn't trouble themselves to claim credit for doing it. Wife was heartbroken because it looked awful. The before pictures don't do it justice as they were taken at night in the garage. Anyways the door was oil-canned about an inch above and below the 5 inch crease. Fortunately the %^&*#@ didn't break through the clear coat.
IMG_1768.jpg
IMG_1768.jpg getPart.jpg

I found a local Paint less dent repair and had it repaired yesterday. I have to say it looks ok, but I am less than impressed with the result. My experience is that these guys can get these creases out like 99%, but if I look straight at it I can see that the crease is out but the sheet metal is now slightly proud where it was previously creased in. Here's the after

IMG_1800.jpg

IMG_1804.jpg

Im not sure if I am being a baby about it. The last time I had a PDR done it was a half dollar size dent right across a feature line and you could not tell it had ever been repaired, and it was also a black vehicle.

Wondering if this is a typical result of "crease" damage repair where if you look dead on at it looks ok / good but you can see the crease slightly proud? The PDR owner said that when he worked the metal flush it oil canned, so this is the best he can do unless I "wanted to break paint" . I guess no more perfect secret service appearance to her ride anymore LOL

OP
OP
Bill D

Bill D

Reaction score
I guess these pictures don't show much of anything. I hate the outcome, a big dimple sitting proud of the repair, on what was previously a perfectly smooth door skin. Not sure if the guy was just anxious to get home with a major storm starting or if he isn't capable. Regardless, Im going back to ask him if he will try to get it right. If he cant, Im sure someone else who's skilled in DPR and is local will.

In the case he wont make it right I just need to figure out how to get a refund from shop 1. If he wont refund i may consider threatening him with a social media thrashing by posting a receipt for his work, next to his results and then post a receipt for shop 2 next to his results....

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once you leave it kinda is what it is. How much did you pay?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bill D

Bill D

Reaction score
It's "PDR" for "Paintless Dent Repair"

...Although, I guess in your case, you're aiming for "Dentless Paint Repair"

WOW I cant believe I got the acronym backwards! Too late to change it now :cheers:

OP
OP
Bill D

Bill D

Reaction score
Once you leave it kinda is what it is. How much did you pay?

150$ Owner told me that the dimple had to stay because it oil cans in if you try to pull it flush, however you tube has lots of videos showing corrections made after sub par PDR repair jobs. I had it done once on a silver dollar size deep door ding right on a feature line. When he was done it was undetectable. I think it comes down to patience, skill and sometimes hours. They way it looks now is sad, because the whole body used to be perfect.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
150$ Owner told me that the dimple had to stay because it oil cans in if you try to pull it flush, however you tube has lots of videos showing corrections made after sub par PDR repair jobs. I had it done once on a silver dollar size deep door ding right on a feature line. When he was done it was undetectable. I think it comes down to patience, skill and sometimes hours. They way it looks now is sad, because the whole body used to be perfect.
Just like anything else involving skill--depends on the person doing the work. Some guys suk, others are good at what they do.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For $ 150 I think your winning. Stop by a local high end body shop or restoration shop and see who they use. I would not let just anyone take a second shot at it without a solid recommendation.

alexalex

Reaction score
As you said, it's really hard to tell from the photo where the damage is. PDR can be hit or miss as it really depends on the dents location and the experience of the technician. Also alot depends on PDR tools. A good friend of mina has https://glexotools.com/. He is pretty happy with how they work

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse

Latest posts