Double DIN install - easy way

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bredstein

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have always wanted to listen to MY music, ideally from some media that holds pretty much all of it. At some point I added a PAC (AAI-GM9) with 2 AUX inputs. It worked well untill my CD player decided to retire... So I chose to go double din and touch screen - personally I have a dumb phone, but I like my daughter's IPod Touch :) After reading a lot of threads I came to a conclusion that I want 1) to minimize my dashboard butchering, because most of the DIY bondo-shmondo installs simply suck IMHO, and 2) I want to keep it cheap. So I started comparing measurements, and decided to go with a Pioneer AVH-X1500DVD. I have installed it today - works and looks great! - and I can report, that it fits without moving HVAC controls, and without any cutting inside! The header sits tight enough to skip any brackets. Nothing is covered, you have enough room to insert disks. The only thing I had to remove was a piece between original radio and HVAC. Then there is some empty space which I plan to cover with some matching colored filler. Here are some pics. You can see an AUX input from my previous setup, I hooked it up to the new header, and also a toggle switch, which grounds the parking brake signal, so the radio is fully functional regardless of whether I drive or not. I am still under impression, it is really cool!

Attachments

• IMG_1187.jpg
    IMG_1187.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1190.jpg
    IMG_1190.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 215
OP
OP
bredstein

bredstein

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dash bezel

All right, the dashbaord trim is done. I took two pieces of black plastic from an old printer's paper tray and after measuring a lot attached them with epoxy. These are my "fillers," hopefully, the header nose will fit! The color was not a 100% match, so I decided to spray the whole black part of the two-color trim. At first I wanted it to remain satin, because I don't like anything glossy, but then I changed my mind. Well, for two reason: I found a can of glossy black Rust-Oleum paint for plastic in my garage, and also the header is quite glossy, so I thought they may look well together... And I also put a coat of adhesion promoter. Here are the pics. More come tomorrow after I install the trim - it is too late now.

Attachments

• DSC05472.jpg
    DSC05472.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC05466.jpg
    DSC05466.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 98
OP
OP
bredstein

bredstein

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Double din install completed!

The project is done. Of course, I added a few scratches to the freshly painted bezel, but overall I am glad with the results. It involved minimal cutting, and it may or may not work for other units (mine is Pioneer X1500). Bypass works, sound is better than stock, video is decent, and the screen it can even display cyrillic letters for some of my songs on the USB drive. What I need to do now is add a USB jack, find and install some box to replace the stock CD player, and do the rear view camera. Any ideas on the camera brand? My budget is about 50 bux...

Attachments

• P1210005.jpg
    P1210005.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 156
  • P1210010.jpg
    P1210010.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 137

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That came out pretty good! You can get a new pocket for where the DVD player was for around $12 or so.

99Yukon4x4

Reaction score
ABCautoelectronics.com (i believe), google searced it the other day, and they have a complete video, including doing filler work. turns out nice, going to do it in mine this spring.