Dorman VS ACDelco VS Duralast VS NAPA VS?????????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mods.. I wasnt really sure where this thread belonged. So I placed it here, as it seemed a reasonable compromise until it can be placed into a correct forum..

This thread came to mind today, when I had a SRS code pop up, and checking local availability for a impact sensor is high, but only on the aftermarket...
Lets face it, some of our trucks are getting aged, and OEM parts are falling off the market.

So generally speaking, we have staved off from Dorman parts, for lack of part reliability, and other items.
In my particular case, reading reviews, its been about 75% positive for a impact sensor, and 25% Negative.

I know I was reading a thread today where someone replaced a SRS sensor, and when he plugged it in, another code came on for another sensor. I think it was a Dorman.
Yesterday was reading a thread about power steering boxes, and how red hat (maybe blue hat) were not great, Duralast was sloppy, and ended up getting a used unit

But what about other brands

I think this is a good thread to have, because not everyone can afford a ACDelco part, or is not an option as no stock is around.
True, eBay is always an option, but what if its needed today, so I can go to work tomorrow?

For example, the Z55/Z95 Air Compressor is a common problem. Arnott has not been a good option with a high failure rate.
But Dorman is supposed to be really good here, which goes against the status quo.

So why not have a thread, highlighting the aftermarket parts options, both in a positive light, or negative.

So I will start with what I think should be the idea?

Application: 2006 Escalade 6.0
Advance Auto Parts
Alternator part #11075A (160amp, remanufactured, Lifetime)
185 dollars
First one failed in 6 hours, and melted
Second one has been good

Is this a good idea?

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
The challenge I think, is keeping up with what is current information, because the parts makers, and parts vendors, are continually shopping each other. It’s very complex, too, because vendors sell multiple grades of parts. ACD for instance has at least 3 levels of quality. NAPA is indecipherable for me insofar as the quality difference between different offerings.

Online reviews are helpful; I like to sort them where possible and look at the most recent. On some platforms I have seen what appear to be fake reviews or paid reviewers gaming the system.

For me one of the best resources are forums just like this one, where we can access crowd-sourced expertise.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also remember there are different levels of ACDelco just like there are other brands.

ACDelco OEM - is what came on the vehicle unless it’s a part built by GM in which case it’s GM OEM.

ACDelco Pro - is the premium line as far as OEM standards/specs but is an aftermarket product.

ACDelco Advantage/Gold - their cheaper lower end aftermarket products.

*also, take note that a lot of knock-off fake ACDelco products are being sold on Amazon and eBay. So be mindful of where the product comes from, and look for p/n’s when you get them.

The big difference in what you’re asking is going to be the country of origin, the quality of the materials used in the product, the QC before it’s shipped out and how long the product will last (10k vs 100k). There also is a warranty associated with that but after a certain age/mileage some guys don’t care how long the product will last, just so long as it outlasts the length they will be driving it.

If you do buy Duralast, make sure you buy their “Duralast Gold” line and keep your receipt. Their other line of products don’t have a warranty worth a damn. I’ve seen guys have better luck with D-Gold than Napa products, but that could just be product specific as well. Personally, Napa is in the same boat as Dorman.
If it’s a part that you want to work properly, buy OEM. If you can’t afford that at the time, then at least get something with a good warranty so you’re not buying and spending the time replacing the product two or three times vs just once.

Last edited:

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to add to this.

Air-Bag Impact Sensor
Dorman- 590-200
Opened the box, and it was a GM OEM part # 10370149
Very common these days.
Bottom line it comes down to how hard of a job it's for me. I'm willing to pay the extra bucks for an OEM part over aftermarket. I have sold parts for a living for the last 12 years and it's all over the place with quality and what's inside the box.

Generally you can expect higher quality standards from OEM brands from Tier 1 suppliers. But as someone noted, even they have different options and flavors these days. Every case is going to be different and now I'm rambling. Buy the best you can afford and consider the cost of failure and redoing the job twice. Even OEM parts fail out of the box, on rare occasions. Installer error and incorrect diag is also problematic.

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Application: 2005 Tahoe w/electric fans
Advance Auto Parts
Radiator part #432298 (CarQuest Premium Radiator, Limited Lifetime)
$208.99
Original one split near the top, this one has been good so far.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
IMO, as I did in my build thread, I see the advantage of all the Genuine GM/AC Delco OEM and Pro parts that I used exclusively on my rig. It cost me more but I had absolutely "ZERO" problems with fit and dependability. I only want to do it once and that stuck with me for 30+ years in the shops I was in. I understand if availability creates a problem but if that is not the case, I choose the best parts, always.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The challenge I think, is keeping up with what is current information, because the parts makers, and parts vendors, are continually shopping each other. It’s very complex, too, because vendors sell multiple grades of parts. ACD for instance has at least 3 levels of quality. NAPA is indecipherable for me insofar as the quality difference between different offerings.

Online reviews are helpful; I like to sort them where possible and look at the most recent. On some platforms I have seen what appear to be fake reviews or paid reviewers gaming the system.

For me one of the best resources are forums just like this one, where we can access crowd-sourced expertise.
mevotech does the same thing they have 3 levels of parts for the same application

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DetroitAxle
Ordered a "kit" to replace everything on my front suspension, minus struts, on my Envoy XUV
Upper Ball Joints failed in less than 13k miles. Rest of the kit seems to be going ok. But the way the boots are mushrooming out, I have a feeling the taper may be wrong for the tie rods and lower ball joints.

Advanced Auto Parts
Got a CarQuest uni-strut to replace the ones on my Envoy XUV. Its a long base, and the spring rates that came with the uni-strut are for short wheel base. Obviously this isnt going to work since a long wheel base is heavier, in my case by 1500lbs. Bottomed out everytime I hit a small bump in the road. Replaced with used OEM springs, and OEM Bilstein struts, problem went away, and the ride was MUCH better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC