Door Locks Now working properly-Key Fob deprogrammed/useless

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hugh Valentine

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good Day.
This is my first post here. I am 74 years old but like to tinker and now I have a full time job diagnosing my 2000 Yukon Denali on an issue. I am stumped.
The vehicle has 296,000 miles and I Use for Hunting Truck/Fishing Truck/Dog loves it-thinks it's hers.

History: For about the past 3-4 years, if I came in from fishing(summer) and the vehicle was hot the locks would sometimes half-heartily open(or close) either via the door switch or Key Fob. They sometimes came halfway open or closed, 1-4 of them. No other pattern than that of "hot vehicle". It never failed to let me in, but sometimes I had to manually lock/unlock a particular but not consistent door.

The other day I was replacing an exterior passenger side view mirror and later noticed the Key Fob did not activate the Locks.(This may be coincidental to the work-just happened about that time-may not be related)

The Locks worked "half heartedly"...one or two, sometimes all when activated by the driver door switch(also identical with the passenger door switch). I noticed this and thought "Maybe the battery needs charging". Put on charge and was fully charged in less than 20 minutes-10A charger-so it was pretty healthy-Also measured Voltage with a VOM. So it is not the battery. I have also reset the computer by removing Pos and Neg and touching, then re-connecting. No change.

I looked on Interet and found the way to program the Key Fob. Unsuccessful so far. Many tries. I never hear the Relay/Door Locks cycle through Lock/Unlock in this process.

Now for the observation which "may" lead someone here with experience and knowledge to offer some suggestion: 1-Usually the first try using the door panel Lock switch will cause the Locking Levers to move closed/open or nearly all the way. Subsequent tries will provide less and less movement until there is almost no effect from using the switch lever and they wont move at all. 2- I removed the housing from the Lock Control Relay(above the accelerator pedal-on frame) and both watched the two SPST relays close and open and even manually actuated it...I think this is good...3-I switched the two little relays on the Fuse Panel to substitute them. No change. 4-I didn't see any blown fuses. 5-All Door Locks move in a similarly coordinated fashion-I doubt all 4 motors could be bad. There must be a common problem somewhere. 6-Sometimes the Alarm will sound when I open a door, even though I did not knowingly set the alarm. Rear Hatch works fine from the dash switch...but Fob will not, of course, activate.

I hope someone with experience/knowledge in this area can help me fix this. Any such person out there?
Thanks to whomever takes the time to read this and any comments would be appreciated by this old but still breathing geezer!

Wear Out! Don't Rust Out is my Motto.

Hugh

OP
OP
H

Hugh Valentine

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My Mistake in Title of Thread...should be NOT working, not NOW working. Sorry.

Hugh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daily Bread