Door handle fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali2k8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the dreaded door handle issue (exterior) and they are hanging on by a thread. I epoxied one and it broke again. Looking for a better solution as I'm afraid a new set will just break the same way in time.

OP
OP
Denali2k8

Denali2k8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw those but wow that's an expensive fix!!

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
The other option is to get the handles that are made from billet aluminum... once you see the price of those the Gruven parts don't look so bad... lol

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ordered these and used them? I'd want confirmation that they work before plunking down $40 for a pair of inserts.

It looks like the OD isn't actually threaded, but spiral-knurled to bite into the adhesive they recommend using to attach them. So the weak link would seem to be the adhesive.
I haven't tried any, I had a minor fender bender on the front left and the body shop removed my drivers handle to paint-match with the fender and the inserts came out in the process so they replaced it with a new oem handle, I would imagine it is only a matter of time before one my kids yanks one off though they don't seem to understand the concept of "the door is locked"

Reaction score
I would imagine it is only a matter of time before one my kids yanks one off though they don't seem to understand the concept of "the door is locked"

Ain't that the frigging truth!

I have to remember to unlock the doors before mu daughter makes it to the car otherwise she stands there yankinh on the handle thinking she's not pulling hard enough for it to open... Lol.

I've also had to explain to her that the inside door handles aren't spring loaded for her to pull and release allowing it to snap back when opening the door, and to let it spring back slowly controlling it with your hand.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to follow up...

I just replaced one of my door handles when it broke. But it wasn't the inserts. It was the plastic surrounding the little metal arm that actuates the latch rod in the door that broke apart. I never found the little torsion spring that fits in that area. Swapping the handle took about 20 minutes.

All that to say that since there are multiple ways these handles can fail, I wouldn't spend $40 on a pair of inserts for a $30 door handle. My luck, something else would break afterward, and I'd have to toss them anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne