DJM lower control arms VS keys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crippin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve tried to do some research on the subject but haven’t found all of the answers I have been looking for. Right now up front I’m running SP shocks and Belltech spindles. I’m wanting to go lower. I was going to pick up the DJM upper and lower control arms. I am wondering if they give a true 3” drop? I have also read that they ride like crap, you get bump steer and they make your vehicle walk. On the other hand, I have also heard keys make your vehicle ride like crap lol. I guess I’m just looking for some advice on which way I should go. I don’t mind the cost difference if the ride is better. Any insight is appreciated!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven’t heard anything good about the DJM control arms. You can get about an inch out of keys before they start affecting the ride much, any more on them and you’re asking for trouble. So with the 2” drop spindles that’s 3” total. If that’s not good enough you’ll need to spend some real $$ starting with ditching the torsion bars altogether.

OP
OP
Crippin87

Crippin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t heard anything good about the DJM control arms. You can get about an inch out of keys before they start affecting the ride much, any more on them and you’re asking for trouble. So with the 2” drop spindles that’s 3” total. If that’s not good enough you’ll need to spend some real $$ starting with ditching the torsion bars altogether.
Nice, thanks man! 2” would be ideal but 1” would probably work I guess. I plan to put 24s on in the spring so idk if I should go much lower anyway. I was kind of thinking I might put 22s on and get lower but I don’t want it to ride terrible. What did you use to lower yours when you had 26s on it?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice, thanks man! 2” would be ideal but 1” would probably work I guess. I plan to put 24s on in the spring so idk if I should go much lower anyway. I was kind of thinking I might put 22s on and get lower but I don’t want it to ride terrible. What did you use to lower yours when you had 26s on it?
Just the Belltech drop spindles. I think the keys were already cranked a bit when I bought it, maybe 1/2” but I’m not 100% sure.

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve tried to do some research on the subject but haven’t found all of the answers I have been looking for. Right now up front I’m running SP shocks and Belltech spindles. I’m wanting to go lower. I was going to pick up the DJM upper and lower control arms. I am wondering if they give a true 3” drop? I have also read that they ride like crap, you get bump steer and they make your vehicle walk. On the other hand, I have also heard keys make your vehicle ride like crap lol. I guess I’m just looking for some advice on which way I should go. I don’t mind the cost difference if the ride is better. Any insight is appreciated!
I got mcgaughys spindles and I wanted to go lower also. So I bought some 3/4 ton purple keys off eBay for like 40 bucks. I had to actually raise it up a bit cuz it cut my tires. I am runnin 305 35 24s tho. Gonna get 295 next time an try that. But it rides good. I also had the bell tech sp shocks an I didn’t think they rode good. I got bilstein now. An my entire front end has been re built. I also had some bump steer with the 24s but I just also installed a kyb steering damper an it helped a lot. I have a 2wd also. Says they won’t fit but the kit I bought bolted right up. 50 bucks

OP
OP
Crippin87

Crippin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just the Belltech drop spindles. I think the keys were already cranked a bit when I bought it, maybe 1/2” but I’m not 100% sure.
What did you use in the rear? I’m a little worried it won’t even out with norcals springs, I don’t want to squat it.
I got mcgaughys spindles and I wanted to go lower also. So I bought some 3/4 ton purple keys off eBay for like 40 bucks. I had to actually raise it up a bit cuz it cut my tires. I am runnin 305 35 24s tho. Gonna get 295 next time an try that. But it rides good. I also had the bell tech sp shocks an I didn’t think they rode good. I got bilstein now. An my entire front end has been re built. I also had some bump steer with the 24s but I just also installed a kyb steering damper an it helped a lot. I have a 2wd also. Says they won’t fit but the kit I bought bolted right up. 50 bucks
I hear a lot of good things about the bilstein shocks. I don’t have a problem my sp shocks, I think they ride pretty good. Seems like everyone likes the bilstein shocks much better than the sp shocks and it makes me wonder how much better the ride could be lol. I didn’t even think about a steering dampener, that’s a good idea too. I was thinking I would run the 295s myself when I put them on, probably roll the fenders too. I haven’t had any luck finding a shop local that does it though. Probably something I will have to tackle on my own.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used Belltech springs in the rear. It’s their 2/4 kit. When you start mixing and matching you’ll have to experiment imo.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This is probably the best advice especially if your not sure how low you want to go and may end up changing ride height down the road. The coil overs will allow for several inches in adjustment and ride great even if drastically dropped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cvaldez224