DIY Resonator delete 6.2? Tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

46and2008Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Long time lurker first time poster, I think have read most of the threads on the resonator delete on here and now want to do it, but will probably be taking the DIY route. I live in the Cayman Islands so getting stuff here is not easy, but I have a shop here that can do a bit of the work. I'm thinking my best route is to acquire the tips I want, hack off the resonator and then get the shop to fab up the 3.5 inch pipe to replace it.

I CAN NOT find tips that achieve the same look as the beloved SLP kit that have a 3.5 inch inlet. I feel like I have scoured the internet but am hoping someone here has some ideas. So if anyone has any ideas on where to look for 3.5 inch inlet, dual 3.5 (or 4) inch outlet with the slash/angle look I'm all ears.

The pictures here (stolen from another thread) 2008 Tahoe LT3 with SLP Resonator Delete.jpg resonatordelete2.jpg are the look I'm trying to achieve, but bonus points if the tips are black. Love the dual behind passenger rear tire exit, parallel to the line of the quarter panel, sticking out just a hair.

I'm thinking I have two options if no one know of 3.5 in to dual 3.5 (or 4) out slash cut angled tips:

1) basically make a dual tip with 3.5 inch Y-pipe and two identical tips - although I think it will be difficult to get all the geometry right for the look, and am worried about clearance issues in the resonator area... I'm just not confident it will end up lookin right with a massive Y pipe behind it (maybe with the right tips, the shop can fab a Y-pipe to make it like a dual? not exactly sure what is possible at an exhaust shop)

2) 3 inch inlets seem more available, so perhaps a short reducer from 3.5 inch to 3 inch inlet to dual 3.5 inch out. I would obviously prefer not to reduce the size of the pipes, but if the consensus was that the effects of this are negligible, since its so far from the engine and immediately transitions to a dual outlet, then I might give it a go

I've also seen the KPE kit, although its kind of hidden in the internet, but don't think its quite worth the 350 they're selling it for, especially if I have to ship it through a freight forwarder and then pay import tax.

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use 2000-2006 tailpipe. It's a direct fit and does not have resonator. Paid 40 for the tailpipe I put in my 07 and it's all mandrel bent pipe. Then just get a tip that looks like that.

Denaliz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went down this rabbit hole myself. You’ll need to pickup a tip and find a shop to make the bend pipe or order online. Not a hard job for any muffler shop but finding one who does mandrel bends was my issue. I’ll just have to travel 25 miles to get done I’d I decide to do it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts