Disabling the auto shut down feature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vannmccullar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is there any way to prevent my Yukon from shutting down after it's idled for a extended period of time?

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

tool2269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought there's a button on the left side panel that needs to be pressed each time you turn on the car that will disable the auto stop for the duration of your drive. Might have the letter A for auto stop on it.

cpayne5

Reaction score
I thought there's a button on the left side panel that needs to be pressed each time you turn on the car that will disable the auto stop for the duration of your drive. Might have the letter A for auto stop on it.

OP is not talking about that.

When these vehicles sit idle for 30ish minutes, they turn off.

OP - I've experienced it and it's annoying. Not sure if you can disable the feature. When the countdown to shutoff begins, I just put it in gear and back into park. I think that resets the timer. Been a while since I've idled that long, though, so don't hold me to it!

Dogged

Reaction score
I work out of my truck and need power / climate control often on a job site. There is no way to get past 30 minutes of idle time, even sitting in the truck the whole time. I work out of my passenger seat, so I have to get out and go to the driver's side and do it all over again. I got to be pretty good at using a coat hanger to push the brake pedal from the passenger's seat!

This "feature" really sucks. This one has a horrible possibility of catching someone unaware and killing their pets (or even a kid) over a summer day thinking they can leave the A/C on for a little while while out of the car. Honestly, I would have left my dogs inside during a road trip while we are eating thinking they are cool and comfortable. I'm glad I found this out before I lost my pups. Hopefully GM will change the programming with enough outcry. Seriously, enough with the nannies GM.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work out of my truck and need power / climate control often on a job site. There is no way to get past 30 minutes of idle time, even sitting in the truck the whole time. I work out of my passenger seat, so I have to get out and go to the driver's side and do it all over again. I got to be pretty good at using a coat hanger to push the brake pedal from the passenger's seat!

This "feature" really sucks. This one has a horrible possibility of catching someone unaware and killing their pets (or even a kid) over a summer day thinking they can leave the A/C on for a little while while out of the car. Honestly, I would have left my dogs inside during a road trip while we are eating thinking they are cool and comfortable. I'm glad I found this out before I lost my pups. Hopefully GM will change the programming with enough outcry. Seriously, enough with the nannies GM.
It’s probably an EPA requirement.... trying to prevent too much exhaust emissions from idling for long periods of time...

OP
OP
V

Vannmccullar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm going to try putting it in neutral and setting the parking brake. Maybe that will fix it.

I was hoping there was a easy way to disable since we travel with our dogs a lot.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to prevent my Yukon from shutting down after it's idled for a extended period of time?

Talk to these guys:

https://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/product-category/fullsizetruck/2019-t1/

OP
OP
V

Vannmccullar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Neutral with the parking brake on has been working for 1.5hrs. I also locked the door with the fob and brought the key inside the house.

tomgilk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So was crushing the interwebs researching the valve spring issue, and saw a post about a test procedure ... I have no idea if accurate, but if you read the doc, it says starting the engine by pressing and holding the start button 15 seconds disables auto shutoff. Simple enough to test I guess. Posting here-

https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/knowledgebase/print-1472.html

Everyone, it works! Held in the start engine button for somewhere around 10-12 seconds and that popped up. Amazing. Thank you.

IMG_20210107_144709~3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98