Differentials and Transfer case fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tvtonyg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a new member and I am looking for info on the front and rear differentials and the transfer case. I have a 2003 Tahoe Z71, everything stock. I live in the northeast so she does get wet and drives through snow from time to time. I also drive it on the beach a few days a year surf fishing. I have 85,000 miles on her. The dealer is recommending their "4x4 service" which is a flushing of the front and rear diff as well as the transfer case ($400). I see no indication in my owners manual maintenance that this is necessary other than checking fluid levels. What to you folks think? is this something I should do through the dealer or by myself or should I just leave it alone. No apparent problems with the 4 x4 system right now.

thanks

T

BlueTahoe2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's good to have done even though it may not recommend it. How often do you drive it in 4 Wheel Drive? I know most of the time I have mine set in 2WD and leave it until I need 4WD.

Im not sure on the 03' but it may be 4WD all the time? Anyway if thats the case then have it done. Best to keep the truck up and be able to drive it almost 300,000 before a new one! Same with the transmission service. I just had mine done with 132,*** Miles.

Tyler

rdtahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a new member and I am looking for info on the front and rear differentials and the transfer case. I have a 2003 Tahoe Z71, everything stock. I live in the northeast so she does get wet and drives through snow from time to time. I also drive it on the beach a few days a year surf fishing. I have 85,000 miles on her. The dealer is recommending their "4x4 service" which is a flushing of the front and rear diff as well as the transfer case ($400). I see no indication in my owners manual maintenance that this is necessary other than checking fluid levels. What to you folks think? is this something I should do through the dealer or by myself or should I just leave it alone. No apparent problems with the 4 x4 system right now.

thanks

T

I did mine per the recommended fluids in the owners manual except for the rear dif, where I used Red Line "Shockproof" synthetic in the next lube weight up from the recommended viscosity.

Oddly, the manual does not recommend synthetic type for the front dif, so I just stuck with what they called for. Use only GM TracII fluid (blue color) for your transfer case though, it is different from other ATF's and gear lubes!

Good luck with it, and it is not hard to do yourself too, BTW,

OP
OP
T

tvtonyg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's good to have done even though it may not recommend it. How often do you drive it in 4 Wheel Drive? I know most of the time I have mine set in 2WD and leave it until I need 4WD.

Im not sure on the 03' but it may be 4WD all the time? Anyway if thats the case then have it done. Best to keep the truck up and be able to drive it almost 300,000 before a new one! Same with the transmission service. I just had mine done with 132,*** Miles.

Tyler

Thanks. It is not 4x4 all the time or AWD it is 4x4 on demand. I would guess out of the 85,000 miles on it 1-2% were driven in 4x4.

T

05TahoeZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
IMO I would just do it yourself for the price of the fluids. It really isn't that hard and it doesn't take too long. Take a look at this thread, if you still have questions, post some more.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1003

By the way, GM doesn't actually recommend transmission, transfer case, or differential service until 100,000 miles for I believe 2001 and up. That's for normal driving which it sounds like you do. If you do some crazy off roading or serious towing then the recommendation is 50k or some people do it more often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM