DFW area member with HP tuners?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ahsmo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking for someone with HP tuners who can change my idle RPM setpoints on my 2003 Tahoe. This has nothing to do with fixing a problem...more of fixing an annoyance. I was quoted by a dealer @ $800 and a tuner wanted to do a full dyno tune for $500. I'll happily pay a few dollars or beers to do this.

My truck has a vibration when in gear and the AC on. The fix is to lower the idle RPM setpoint a la this bulletin from GM:

"A new service calibration has been released to lower the engine idle speed to 538 RPM in park/neutral and 525 RPM in gear. Before installing the new calibration, use the Tech 2® and go into Powertrain/Special Functions/TAC System/Engine Speed Control and when the condition is duplicated (engine running, in gear, foot on the brake, A/C on), command the idle down to 525 RPM. If the condition greatly improves or goes away, reprogram the PCM with the updated software calibration. This new calibration was released with TIS satellite data update version 1.75 available January 26, 2005. As always, make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software version."

OP
OP
A

ahsmo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Doesn't have to be HP tuners... just need to be able to adjust setpoints!

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well a location will be the first thing in helping, i for one have hp tuners, but depending on how far you are, it wont be worth it. on another note it costs to unlock the vin to make any adjustments. then there is the time to do it. so i would expect to spend $50-100 ish to get that changed.

OP
OP
A

ahsmo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
North Richland Hills - doesn't seem unreasonable on the cost. $500-$800 certainly does

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Use a Tech 2 to update the calibration. Free programming with TIS2000. Did they tell you the calibration number?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Look on the repair ticket, it might be listed. You can search calibrations for yourself here with your VIN: https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/ but you don't know which one your truck is currently using so you can't tell what's a newer release. A Tech 2 would read them.

I'll offer to look at the TIS calibrations online for you if you post up your VIN or PM it to me.

OP
OP
A

ahsmo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Look on the repair ticket, it might be listed. You can search calibrations for yourself here with your VIN: https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/ but you don't know which one your truck is currently using so you can't tell what's a newer release. A Tech 2 would read them.

I'll offer to look at the TIS calibrations online for you if you post up your VIN or PM it to me.
DM'd the vin.

I unfortunately talked to them on the phone and did not get a repair ticket.

OP
OP
A

ahsmo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here is the TSB I copy pasted from another forum:

#05-06-01-006: Engine Vibration/Noise at Idle, Vibration Felt in Steering Wheel/Seat (Reprogram PCM) - (Feb 9, 2005)
999%252F999999995.gif

Subject:Engine Vibration/Noise at Idle, Vibration Felt in Steering Wheel/Seat (Reprogram PCM)

Models:2003-2005 Cadillac Escalade
2003-2005 Chevrolet Tahoe
2003-2005 GMC Yukon
with 4.8L or 5.3L Engine (VINS V, T, Z -- RPOs LR4, LM7, L59)

Condition

Some customers may comment on an engine vibration or noise while the vehicle is in gear at idle. This vibration can be felt in the steering wheel or seat and may intensify if the A/C is turned on. It should be noted that if the engine speed is raised or lowered approximately 50 RPMs, the vibration/noise will be reduced or go away.

Correction

A new service calibration has been released to lower the engine idle speed to 538 RPM in park/neutral and 525 RPM in gear. Before installing the new calibration, use the Tech 2® and go into Powertrain/Special Functions/TAC System/Engine Speed Control and when the condition is duplicated (engine running, in gear, foot on the brake, A/C on), command the idle down to 525 RPM. If the condition greatly improves or goes away, reprogram the PCM with the updated software calibration. This new calibration was released with TIS satellite data update version 1.75 available January 26, 2005. As always, make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software version.

Also, if the vehicle is a 2004 model, Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-01-023 may need to be performed.

#04-06-01-023: Engine Vibration/Noise at Idle, Rough Idle, Steering Wheel Shake (Adjust Engine Mount Bracket(s)) - (Jun 30, 2004)

999%252F999999995.gif

Subject:Engine Vibration/Noise at Idle, Rough Idle, Steering Wheel Shake (Adjust Engine Mount Bracket(s))

Models:2004 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2004 Chevrolet Avalanche, Tahoe
2004 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts