Denali XL towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abishoff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would there be any problem towing a 22ft trailer with a 10,000lb truck on it. I need to tow it about 400miles.

Wagnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep an eye on your trans temperature. Assuming the trailer has brakes?

OP
OP
A

abishoff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya it has brakes but I'm not sure I'm gonna get a brake controller since this is a 1time thing. I don't have the 07+ brake upgrade from stop tech. I got the towing version

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering the fact that the towing capacity is around 7200 pounds i would say no. A trailer that can hold a five ton truck has to weigh at least 5000 pounds. So you would be doubling the capacity with no trailer brakes. If you were going a few miles down the road i`d say it`s ok but no way would i go 400 miles.

And the tongue weight on a setup like that would likely far exceed what your truck is rated for as well. If i remember correctly it`s 400 pounds.

Last edited:

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, the 4l60e is gonna have an Fing fit about towing that. It wont end well.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also forgot to add that if you have no trailer brakes and you go down a hill that weight will start to push you and possibly begin weaving uncontrollably and could cause you to crash.

I got a cheap tandem axle camper to put on my property and the brakes didn`t work and that happened to me in my 87 suburban, The only thing that saved me was traffic was clear and i was able to speed up to settle the trailer and that camper was only about 5000 pounds.

popo8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ur pushing it to the edge. I know the hitch rating on my 02 caddy with the 6.0 was 12k.

7k worth of 24' trailer and transam inside.

Drove 800 miles one way from PA to KY... Even the big 6.0 worked for it... pulled about 9mpg on the highway and the trailer brake was a MUST at this level. Especially with the emergency button on the controller for the time the trailer started getting a bit out of a hand for me comin down a mountain. A lil drag on those bug declines was KEY...
f265b8e7db065af3c7014d001619183e.jpg

LTXtech.com IS my drug...
OWNER/ADMIN

Angrydad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
10k lbs is very dangerous for the trans... my 4l65e reached 280.F while pulling 8k. I upgraded the trans with a Zpak clutches new servos. New sprauge... new deep oil pan. And trans cooler up front... i can confidently/regularly tow 9500lbs with a load distro hitch... if you plan on pulling this weight this often consider a 4l80e swap$$$$ or an subrban 2500.

Just my 2cents. Hope it works out!
20160930_181640.jpg

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the sake of discussion, lets say that somehow you don't completely burn out the tranny clutches doing this and you don't ruin your disc brakes and you don't decrease the life of your engine...have you considered the financial hit if you get in an accident with that overloaded vehicle with absolutely no way to stop with no trailer brakes?

If you kill someone, the other family can easily sue you for a very large judgement that your auto insurance may not even cover, because of your willful negligence. Not to mention, lawyers are way more expensive than having that 10,000 pound truck towed 400 miles. I bet there are attorneys who follow this website who would strongly advise against this idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayden with 2011 y