Denali stumbles when pointed downhill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpscotia

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Long story short: Every Saturday I go into Halifax and my 05 Denali will stumble and miss when I have to stop at a stoplight when going down one of downtown Halifax's famous steep hills. If you know Halifax you'll know what I'm talking about. ;) The Denali will be pointing down, waiting at the light, and it'll start shaking and missing like crazy. If I shift it to neutral and give it a little gas it smooths out.

It's done it both with a full tank and almost empty, I initially thought it was the fuel pump not being able to pick up the fuel so I decided to top it up and see if that helped. It didn't.

Could it possibly be intake manifold related? It happens when I start it from being parked for a few hours, then hit the hill within 30 seconds or so. I've never done it when it's completely warmed up.
It runs perfectly other than that.
No codes are popping up.

Thoughts from people way more knowledgable than I? :)
Thanks!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Ever change the inline fuel filter? I had a similar problem with my 03. Going up steep hills it run like crap and then just shut off! Would eventually start and run fine. Happened on every steep hill! At the time the truck had around 215,000 on it. Still had the original filter! Changed it and the problem went away. Truck just hit 268,000 and runs fine.

OP
OP
M

mpscotia

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looks like in 04-05 they removed the inline fuel filter, as it's in the tank now. :( I'll have a peek to make sure, though!