Denali Magnaflow Drone?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Garret813

Reaction score
I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but whip-crack! About 2 months ago I had a Magnaflow 5"x8" muffler, I think #12229, installed on our 08 Denali XL. I also did a resonator delete with some off the shelve brand dual tip side exit set up. I definitely noticed the drone inside the cab at mid range rpm's but thought I'd get used to it. After a looong road trip, it got really annoying. I called the shop who installed everything and he suggested adding a straight though design resonator between the engine and the muffler to cancel out some of the drone, cost about $120 installed. I still want the truck to be loud and perform well, but I gotta fix the drone. Should I just add the resonator or swap out the muffler for a different size or different brand? Let the debate begin.....again.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Corsa. A resonator may reduce it, but you will need to test which size would be the best.

06xl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a magnaflow 5x11x22 an I was experiencing the same thing an after reading another post which stated that the pipe after the muffler creates the drone so the poster just cut that pipe off an added a 16" slanted tip an that killed the in cabin drone an made the exhaust sound even better this set up worked fine for me an but both setups were done on NBS I'm not to sure about the NNBS

04ctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think the muffler shop is just talking about adding a striaght thru bullet style glass pack in front of the muffler.

you can do that yourself for ~$50, and buy some tools if needed, then you have the
tools, and you can change it around later if you want

http://www.amazon.com/Flowtech-50250FLT-Hots-Glass-Muffler/dp/B0002M9PBQ

ref=dp_image_0

exhaust pipe expander

$24

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=v2scTvSzGKW10AHl65G9Bw&ved=0CFcQ8gIwAg#

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Magnaflow 5x11x22 and it also drones in the cruising RPM range...to me it is not bad and my wife does not complain so.... anyways I have been thinking about dumping the exhaust right after the axle, may have to play around with adding a 16" slant tip, if it helps great if not oh well I can live with it.

06xl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Magnaflow 5x11x22 and it also drones in the cruising RPM range...to me it is not bad and my wife does not complain so.... anyways I have been thinking about dumping the exhaust right after the axle, may have to play around with adding a 16" slant tip, if it helps great if not oh well I can live with it.

You will luv the sound trust me

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed the resonator some time later after the Magnaflow was installed. It is dumped after the rear axle, and there was no change in exhaust drone.

OP
OP
G

Garret813

Reaction score
I have a magnaflow 5x11x22 an I was experiencing the same thing an after reading another post which stated that the pipe after the muffler creates the drone so the poster just cut that pipe off an added a 16" slanted tip an that killed the in cabin drone an made the exhaust sound even better this set up worked fine for me an but both setups were done on NBS I'm not to sure about the NNBS

That's an interestting theory b/c the pipe after the muffler is just a quick fix pipe the shop made to hold the tips. I'm not thrilled with the tips I currently have either. I'm thinking about getting the SLP delete kit and putting that after the muffler to see if it helps fix it.

06xl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey go for it keep us updated but deleting the pipe after the exhaust sn adding a tip is way cheaper

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar