Denali/Escalade roof rack end caps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
How do the body colored end caps attach to the roof rack? I just noticed my front driver side is sticking up a bit. I didn't want to try to push it down too hard in case it's attached with a bolt or screw. a778803225582278464661b36b8b2d52.jpg8f82136c05bc6f32f3fd7b08484ac280.jpg

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The part that slides into the chrome rack just has a couple little plastic tabs to guide it into the rack.

Sorry no pics handy.

You need to lift up on the actual end (the rounded part of the cap).

There is a mounting post with a metal ring that helps secure the cap to the base on the rack.

The rack is held into the roof with a series of torx screws. 2 screws under each cap and one in the center with a raised mounting post that the rack slides a touch before it will be able to pull up and off.

Grab the end cap firmly and pull up and then pull/away from the chrome rack.

If it is the first time, they will be snug. Just be firm. You will then see how everything fits together as mentioned.

I probably have some pics in my build thread, but you should be able to get it off.

Install is the reverse. If you take them on/off too many times they can get loose and fly off.

Car wash final dry with the blower or cruising down the interstate is notoriously for blowing them off once they get loose.

Ask me how I know. Hope that all made sense.

OP
OP
gooffeyguy
Reaction score
The part that slides into the chrome rack just has a couple little plastic tabs to guide it into the rack.

Sorry no pics handy.

You need to lift up on the actual end (the rounded part of the cap).

There is a mounting post with a metal ring that helps secure the cap to the base on the rack.

The rack is held into the roof with a series of torx screws. 2 screws under each cap and one in the center with a raised mounting post that the rack slides a touch before it will be able to pull up and off.

Grab the end cap firmly and pull up and then pull/away from the chrome rack.

If it is the first time, they will be snug. Just be firm. You will then see how everything fits together as mentioned.

I probably have some pics in my build thread, but you should be able to get it off.

Install is the reverse. If you take them on/off too many times they can get loose and fly off.

Car wash final dry with the blower or cruising down the interstate is notoriously for blowing them off once they get loose.

Ask me how I know. Hope that all made sense.
So the end of the cap is just a friction fit holding it down? This is the factory rack that came with the vehicle and this front tip appears to be up off the surface about an 1/8-1/4" and before messing with it I just wanted to make sure it just pushes down to secure it

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
How do the body colored end caps attach to the roof rack? I just noticed my front driver side is sticking up a bit. I didn't want to try to push it down too hard in case it's attached with a bolt or screw. a778803225582278464661b36b8b2d52.jpg8f82136c05bc6f32f3fd7b08484ac280.jpg

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
Hopefully that won't blow off on the highway.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully that won't blow off on the highway.
^This.

Give the end cap a push down. That compression ring should seat and the post (make side) on the rack itself into the open hole (female receiving end).

It may have just popped up due to wind or car wash. Hard to tell. Sometimes that metal ring pops off the post where it is originally seated and sticks in the end cap.

Having said that, if it has never been off, then maybe just has lifted.

There is no secret screw or body plug holding it in place.

Just the front tabs into the chrome rack and the post make and female and down onto the rack itself.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
The post and ring @Fosscore is talking about is actually the older '02-'06 Esky style.

The newer ones have a flat metal clip but they still install/remove the same.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The post and ring @Fosscore is talking about is actually the older '02-'06 Esky style.

Thx sir. Sorry if any confusion. I guess both of my Esky racks are the older style.

Learned something new.

kbuskill

Reaction score
Thx sir. Sorry if any confusion. I guess both of my Esky racks are the older style.

Learned something new.

No worries... they both use the same method for install and removal, just a different way of attachment.

Wish I had a pic to show the difference but I don't think I ever took any. The only reason I know this is because I had the end caps for both at one time.

09 L9H

not a boomer
Reaction score

The '02-'06 caps will fit NNBS racks right? I'm about to buy a set of caps off eBay and want to make sure. Listing says they fit an '03-'06 Escalade

kbuskill

Reaction score
The '02-'06 caps will fit NNBS racks right? I'm about to buy a set of caps off eBay and want to make sure. Listing says they fit an '03-'06 Escalade

Externally they are the same. The way they attach is slightly different as mentioned above.

If the black plastic pieces underneath the end caps come with the end caps then its no big deal.

If they don't you need to check the black plastic pieces that you already have.

As mentioned the older '02-'06 use a round post and the newer ones use a flat metal clip that slides down onto a flat vertical piece of plastic on the black piece.

Hard to find decent pics of the newer style.

Here are some pics of the older (round post) style...
rps20190227_224204_661.jpg
rps20190227_224250_848.jpg

And a pic of the newer style that has the flat piece...
rps20190227_224423_544.jpg
You see the flat vertical piece to the right of the bolt???

A metal clip attaches inside the newer style end caps and slides down over that piece.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE