Denali 2022 vs. 2021????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

FatDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most of the lifter problems seemed to have occurred early on...had one dealer tell me if we hit 20k we should be good...who knows if that has any substance to it or not.

2021 pros - don't have to deal with the new google infotainment and 21s actually have a NAV system that works without a wifi plan...granted I'd rather use google maps on carplay/android auto over the GM system. you already mentioned the RSE and I agree, but if resale is more important than actually using it, I wouldn't list it as a pro or a con

2021 cons...first year build of a completely new design and cost...sure used prices are coming down, but are we talking 70% of MSRP?

I'd find a dealer that could order a 23 at sticker or less and go that route if I was going to be spending $70k+...as long as you aren't wanting to order a Yukon Denali Supremo XXXL diesel convertible hybrid in racing yellow with fire red interior factory lifted on 33s

my first thought when reading the original post is how does your state handle sales tax since you just sold the 2017 and most states allow for a sales tax credit offset with a trade in...and some states allow for the private sale to also offset the sales tax on a new vehicle but usually have limited timeframes when the offset is allowed (ie vehicle sold privately 45-60 days before or after the purchase of a vehicle)...or maybe sales tax is a non factor...
Thanks!!

As far as taxes in our state, the only way you benefit is if you trade at a dealer. If that is done then you only pay tax on the difference. On an outright sale and then I go buy another vehicle......we pay full tax, which sucks.

I hear ya on the 2023's, I would be looking for a "nicely" equipped Denali but right now it's tough to find a GM dealer that will sell at MSRP. I've looked some Fords and I will say, the Ford dealers are willing to deal and there is not "market adjustments" and prices above MSRP. Needless to say, it's frustrating but I know I'm not alone with that issue!

One clarification.......On the 2022 and up, the navigation system must have a wifi plan????

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!!

As far as taxes in our state, the only way you benefit is if you trade at a dealer. If that is done then you only pay tax on the difference. On an outright sale and then I go buy another vehicle......we pay full tax, which sucks.

I hear ya on the 2023's, I would be looking for a "nicely" equipped Denali but right now it's tough to find a GM dealer that will sell at MSRP. I've looked some Fords and I will say, the Ford dealers are willing to deal and there is not "market adjustments" and prices above MSRP. Needless to say, it's frustrating but I know I'm not alone with that issue!

One clarification.......On the 2022 and up, the navigation system must have a wifi plan????

yep - one of the bigger surprises I think was the changeover to google after only one year with the "new" system in the 2021s...wifi is needed for the infotainment system to work "properly"...hence the reason GM is now forcing customers to buy an Onstar plan (at least on the GMC side)...people were either complaining about lack of functionality or it's simply GM's way of hooking buyers on their onstar/wifi subscription plans (yes - the latter)

21s that had factory navigation worked without the need for wifi..typical OEM NAV stuff, not the best in the world but it was still maps...probably the one unique aspect of a 21 with nav and RSE, the second row passengers can search for a place to navigate on the RSE and then send the destination to the driver...driver can then either accept or reject the directions....kids used to always send directions to ice cream whenever we took off

OP
OP
F

FatDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep - one of the bigger surprises I think was the changeover to google after only one year with the "new" system in the 2021s...wifi is needed for the infotainment system to work "properly"...hence the reason GM is now forcing customers to buy an Onstar plan (at least on the GMC side)...people were either complaining about lack of functionality or it's simply GM's way of hooking buyers on their onstar/wifi subscription plans (yes - the latter)

21s that had factory navigation worked without the need for wifi..typical OEM NAV stuff, not the best in the world but it was still maps...probably the one unique aspect of a 21 with nav and RSE, the second row passengers can search for a place to navigate on the RSE and then send the destination to the driver...driver can then either accept or reject the directions....kids used to always send directions to ice cream whenever we took off

That's great info!!!

I'll be honest, I'm typically a Ford guy but the wife likes the Denali's and Escalade's, which we have had a few of each. So I haven't followed all the new changes and updates that close with GM. The more I'm reading and hearing, I actually leaning towards trying to find a 2021 with low miles.

OP
OP
F

FatDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any insight or thoughts on the air ride in the 2021 / 2022?

I've done some research and it really seems split. Some guys say stay away and some say it's great?

I've located a very nicely equipped 2021 and it does have the air ride, so it has me wondering???????

pa31p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you tow a lot or live in a city where the roads suck (sorry guys..Detroit or Montreal comes to mind) Would be world of difference. the ride will be better for sure. Not sure if Yukons or Tahoe’s have self leveling headlamps (mine don’t look like it) but that alone is worth something if you tow.

OP
OP
F

FatDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you tow a lot or live in a city where the roads suck (sorry guys..Detroit or Montreal comes to mind) Would be world of difference. the ride will be better for sure. Not sure if Yukons or Tahoe’s have self leveling headlamps (mine don’t look like it) but that alone is worth something if you tow.
No towing, I've got a 3/4 ton and a 1/2 ton for that. This will strictly be the wife's ride and the road trip vehicle when we are not towing on a trip.

So.....around town and road trips.

pa31p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would consider it a major plus.

Usually it’s bundled with other options too. the more the merrier IMHO.

Saltydog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 21' has been great, no real issues to speak of and find the infotainment system fantastic, very quick and easy to use.

Two options that I would like to have: air ride and adaptive cruise.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had two 2021 Yukons and would suggest staying away from the early builds. I was one of the first to own one and its build date was June 2020. Had numerous quality issues with it (lemon law claim filed, etc). My 2nd 2021 AT4 has been very good. Some small issues that were fixed under warranty like the usual Sunroof gurgle and rear GMC kick lamp wearing out. It's been solid as far as mechanical issues go and I/kids love the infotainment and Rear seat infotainment system. That all has worked flawlessly, without any updates. It's build date was 1 year after my first; June 2021. (Note: I now have over 22k miles on it)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep