Decisions, Decisions...

Which Battery Would You Choose?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Help me overthink this, which would you choose if in my boots and why?

Vehicle is an unmodified 2009 GMC Yukon XL 4x4. Currently has Battery A which is now 41 months old and is about wore out. This battery has never failed to start the truck.

I was thinking about the latter two as every month or so we're re-setting the air pressure in the tires with an air compressor that runs off the truck's battery. Once a year we take it to the drag strip and run the fans on high with the motor off to cool her down. Sometimes use the Tech-2 to check things out with the motor off as well.

Do I need and extra 5 or 10 Amp hours of capacity? Does an extra 8 pounds under the hood matter?

upload_2020-1-8_2-8-21.png

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless the extra 5lbs of weight is significant for some reason, I'd suggest going for the most cold cranking amps (or other relevant battery capacity measure), as long as the price to achieve it is not stupidly high.

Further, if weight is a factor, such as at the track, then keep your current battery (since it still starts the truck), place it on a trickle charger, and swap it out on track day.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go with B for the higher warranty and more CCA and not even consider Battery C.

I was always of this mind too but Battery A has never had trouble starting the truck. I was thinking the reserve capacity would be nice to have. Don't think I'd ever exceed the discharge rate of 70 Amps though.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was always of this mind too but Battery A has never had trouble starting the truck. I was thinking the reserve capacity would be nice to have. Don't think I'd ever exceed the discharge rate of 70 Amps though.

One reason that I always try to go for the most amps capacity, is that occasionally (sometimes, too often) I am asked to help start somebody else's truck, that has a dying or dead battery. With a high capacity battery, there is minimal strain on the battery and alternator in my truck, when I help others start theirs.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the difference in opinion could be due to where you live compared to where I live. In Mo, those extra CCA comes in handy in the middle of winter and I always enjoy the extra warranty, as well. There has been more than one time that the extra warranty has come in handy and I've gotten a free battery after one died prior to the warranty expiring.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
James, you live in Florida. CCAs really only come into play when starting in cold weather. By "cold weather," I mean like 0-10° F, not Florida "cold weather" which is like 50°.

If it was me, I'd buy the battery that had the best warranty, as heat kills batteries. Or if there's such a way to research it, the battery that survives the heat the best. And, based on the prices, you're looking at AGM, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent

Latest posts