Daytime Running light upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

saldana17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
amber lite.jpg

I just converted my lights to amber and when I meet a white Yukon coming at me with amber running lights I know it is MaMa been doing that for years to all my running lights. will add a photo when she gets home

Last edited:

1992rs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like @Red Rocket I have full time drl's with bright ass LED's, but I did mine a different way. The way I did it doesn't require anything other then time. I like it because even to a trained eye, nobody can tell how it was done. This method only works for 00-02's. Theres a write up on it on another forum. You can pm me and I'll send you the link, but in short its:

1. open up your fuse box under the hood
2. take off the black surround
3. Theres multiple different colored blocks, Locate the green block and unbolt it
4. locate the royal blue double wire
5. unlock the green block with the blue locking clips to remove the royal double wire
6. drop the royal double wire down one spot (it should be the bottom hole on the green block)
7. re-assemble everything and you're set

This was the first mod I did after I got my denali. I've never had a problem in almost the two years I've owned it and I've never even burnt out a DRL bulb, which is surprising since these trucks are notorious for that.

Denali #11.JPG

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like @Red Rocket I have full time drl's with bright ass LED's, but I did mine a different way. The way I did it doesn't require anything other then time. I like it because even to a trained eye, nobody can tell how it was done. This method only works for 00-02's. Theres a write up on it on another forum. You can pm me and I'll send you the link, but in short its:

1. open up your fuse box under the hood
2. take off the black surround
3. Theres multiple different colored blocks, Locate the green block and unbolt it
4. locate the royal blue double wire
5. unlock the green block with the blue locking clips to remove the royal double wire
6. drop the royal double wire down one spot (it should be the bottom hole on the green block)
7. re-assemble everything and you're set

This was the first mod I did after I got my denali. I've never had a problem in almost the two years I've owned it and I've never even burnt out a DRL bulb, which is surprising since these trucks are notorious for that.

View attachment 71821
Do yours still work normally when the headlights and marker lights are off? I thought you lose that with that way to do it. Mine work like normal DRL's during the day.

1992rs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do yours still work normally when the headlights and marker lights are off? I thought you lose that with that way to do it. Mine work like normal DRL's during the day.
Yup they work just like normal. Once I turn the key they are on until I shut it off

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
View attachment 71695
I put these in for drls and turn signals. They are a blueish color when not on and then illuminate a nice bright amber color. Can't seem to find them anywhere now though.
LMC Truck 100% carries them. Rarely find them on ebay.
I love the way these look when they're off and the housing has that blue look. I wanna get them but don't wanna get rid of my switchbacks that I spent $100+ on :disgust:
6d95588526715b64c9087cc5d7fb52a8.jpg

Last edited:

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where did you buy your hirs? How do you like them?
Right here:

http://store.candlepower.com/hirlighting.html

They work great but of course they don't colormatch my other lights. Since they're only high beam I don't care about the color. I'll tell you what- I was driving for the Hood-To-Coast relay race 2 years ago and it was pouring down rain and we were in the middle of the Cascade Mountains in the middle of the night and they lit up the road for as far as I could see. Very nice.