CV axles replacement 2002 Chev suburban LT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When everyone changes them do they by ac Delco or timkin ? Any advise would be great .. Is one brand better then the other ?

Mark

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Since you did not decide to share if it is a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton I just guessed and looked up what I would use for a 1/2 ton. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=539187&cc=1380327&jsn=2340&jsn=2340

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

OP
OP
Woodblocker55

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you did not decide to share if it is a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton I just guessed and looked up what I would use for a 1/2 ton. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=539187&cc=1380327&jsn=2340&jsn=2340

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.
Yep 1/2 ton . Parts are pretty confusing. I seen orielys has CV axle for cheaper and 3 year warranty.
But like always they don't have to change it on a return either . I will get my info updated [emoji106] thanks for the input [emoji106] .. great group of people in here. I will share findings and what I did . I'm in rust belt so my repairs always get pretty interesting.

OP
OP
Woodblocker55

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dreaded rust belt. I hate rust and the salt that causes it.
Rust belt action .. air hammer 120 psi just to get hub out of the carrier .. could that be the original ? 209,000 miles on it . Air hammered on bolts was only way I could get it out of there 2002 suburban there is 2 I work on 2002 Chev and 2006 Yukon XL .
There basically the same . Look close rainbow colors on hub bearing and totally Pitted rotor .. biggest pits I ever seen .. I think I'm going to put semi-metallic pads back on. And new hub of course. Maybe even shocks. CV shaft looks good
I think it's just the bearing that went out . And ways to check shaft ? There is no tears in boots ..43eb8a94fb7625d55035c44b10cf32de.jpg

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When everyone changes them do they by ac Delco or timkin ? Any advise would be great .. Is one brand better then the other ?

Mark

So not going rebuilt? Any reasons why? R they junk?

Just curious.

OP
OP
Woodblocker55

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So not going rebuilt? Any reasons why? R they junk?

Just curious.
I'm thinking the CV axles are good yet .. but it's one thing I won't find out till I put it back together . I suppose I might kick myself for not replacing them when I have it apart .

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When you are already thinking about axle replacement and you are torn down this far, it only makes sense to replace the axles but of course your call and your labor.

OP
OP
Woodblocker55

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you are already thinking about axle replacement and you are torn down this far, it only makes sense to replace the axles but of course your call and your labor.
I know ......How many miles does average CV axle last ? There is 209,000 on this rig .

OP
OP
Woodblocker55

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder how much new front bearing hubs and brake rotor and pads install would cost at GM garage ? Would it be over $1000 ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevensavino