CST 4.5" front lift on 2017 Suburban 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

medic83

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Figured I'd start a new thread. I ordered the CST 4.5" lift. I would like to add the blistering shocks on all 4 corners. I would like to run longer lift coils in the rear vs putting a 3" coil spacer. Can anybody tell me if the z71 coils are longer? Would these work? I'm looking for 3". I prefer to run the longer shock and coil. Because the CST is a complete drop, would putting the z71 coils on a bilstein add lift as well? Need to get this stuff ordered as the CST lift will be here in the next day or so.

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
Look forward to seeing it. Unfortunately I don't believe Z71 coils are longer. But I believe Moog makes a longer set of replacement coils.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Looking into parts for you but think skyjacker makes a 3” coil spring. Plan for 5100 up front and 5160 rear

OP
OP
M

medic83

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I finally got this thing done. Talk about a pain in the a$$!!! First... the wrong lift shows up and I had to sit on the pallet for over two weeks before they could get it picked up and then refunded. So I came out of pocket and just bought the CST lift. I had to piece together the rear. I went with 3" aluminum coil spacers, Bilstein 5100 shocks. WIth the 3" spacer it is mandatory to use the 5100 (about 1" longer full extention than stock) or a shock extender bracket. I found that with at ride height, with the 3" spacer, it is almost full extension with the oem shock. So I added the 5100 and a shock extender bracket. I cycled the rear and I felt that this was the best choice. I literally called Bilstein and they said not to use the 5160 remote resi shock which is for up to 2-3" of lift for an earlier model suburban. I knew I could make it work but they said that It would not be a good idea. So whatever... I went with the 5100 that was for my year. Honestly this is the wife's DD and our family rig. It will be just fine with the 5100's. They are so much better than the oem shocks. I tried oem with the extender and the 5100 just to see and the oem are useless IMO.

So with the CST kit, I only used the Front kit. I have not put the 5100's in the front just yet. But Ill get them in soon. I went with the Nitto Ridge Grapplers on the stock wheels. I think it looks super clean. These tires look really nice. I got 295/70-18's (34.29 x 11.77") I also added 1.5" wheel spacers front and rear to ad track width and for looks. Its not needed with the CST kit but it gives the truck a way better look. With this combo, there was some rubbing. I tend to clearance aggressively because I dont ant to have to worry. I trimmed the firewall side and the front. I pulled the wheel well and did everything behind and then made new holes to suck the wheel well liner back. I decided to bend the pinch welds flat and give as much space as i could. THen put the liner back and you cant see it. Im still thinking of moving the pass side hard lines out of the way as well (totally stupid place to have them). Once I trimmed, I could turn full lock each way with no rubbing but this was not under speed or load or and road camber. So I had already had some bottom shims to play around with the height as well. I put in the 1/2" lift one and there is a good amount of room. I have a 1" lift one as well I might try later. Im thinking of putting in z71 coils in the rear with the 3" spacer. I think it will give me another 1/2" lift in the rear. As the truck stands, it is almost level front and rear. 1/4" higher in rear. I like a slight rake (higher in rear). I think the z71 rear coils will give me the exact look i want. WIth the CST kit, it keeps all the stock geometry so adding the bottom shims barely changes the CV angles so its nice to have options.

The rear parts are not used at all. Not even the e brake or brake line extension bracket work for the rear. I made a brake line extension bracket, but I will prob just get some steel braided lines made. Stock sway bar links are in right now. longer ones are a must. I will just make some tomorrow probably because i need to make some for my brothers 4runner as well. As far as the panhard bar, It is barely shifted. i doubt ill even do anything about it. Ill try and get some pics up soon. But overall it looks really nice.

Adam10532

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I finally got this thing done. Talk about a pain in the a$$!!! First... the wrong lift shows up and I had to sit on the pallet for over two weeks before they could get it picked up and then refunded. So I came out of pocket and just bought the CST lift. I had to piece together the rear. I went with 3" aluminum coil spacers, Bilstein 5100 shocks. WIth the 3" spacer it is mandatory to use the 5100 (about 1" longer full extention than stock) or a shock extender bracket. I found that with at ride height, with the 3" spacer, it is almost full extension with the oem shock. So I added the 5100 and a shock extender bracket. I cycled the rear and I felt that this was the best choice. I literally called Bilstein and they said not to use the 5160 remote resi shock which is for up to 2-3" of lift for an earlier model suburban. I knew I could make it work but they said that It would not be a good idea. So whatever... I went with the 5100 that was for my year. Honestly this is the wife's DD and our family rig. It will be just fine with the 5100's. They are so much better than the oem shocks. I tried oem with the extender and the 5100 just to see and the oem are useless IMO.

So with the CST kit, I only used the Front kit. I have not put the 5100's in the front just yet. But Ill get them in soon. I went with the Nitto Ridge Grapplers on the stock wheels. I think it looks super clean. These tires look really nice. I got 295/70-18's (34.29 x 11.77") I also added 1.5" wheel spacers front and rear to ad track width and for looks. Its not needed with the CST kit but it gives the truck a way better look. With this combo, there was some rubbing. I tend to clearance aggressively because I dont ant to have to worry. I trimmed the firewall side and the front. I pulled the wheel well and did everything behind and then made new holes to suck the wheel well liner back. I decided to bend the pinch welds flat and give as much space as i could. THen put the liner back and you cant see it. Im still thinking of moving the pass side hard lines out of the way as well (totally stupid place to have them). Once I trimmed, I could turn full lock each way with no rubbing but this was not under speed or load or and road camber. So I had already had some bottom shims to play around with the height as well. I put in the 1/2" lift one and there is a good amount of room. I have a 1" lift one as well I might try later. Im thinking of putting in z71 coils in the rear with the 3" spacer. I think it will give me another 1/2" lift in the rear. As the truck stands, it is almost level front and rear. 1/4" higher in rear. I like a slight rake (higher in rear). I think the z71 rear coils will give me the exact look i want. WIth the CST kit, it keeps all the stock geometry so adding the bottom shims barely changes the CV angles so its nice to have options.

The rear parts are not used at all. Not even the e brake or brake line extension bracket work for the rear. I made a brake line extension bracket, but I will prob just get some steel braided lines made. Stock sway bar links are in right now. longer ones are a must. I will just make some tomorrow probably because i need to make some for my brothers 4runner as well. As far as the panhard bar, It is barely shifted. i doubt ill even do anything about it. Ill try and get some pics up soon. But overall it looks really nice.
did you change your gear ratio? and if not how does it take off from a dead stop?

OP
OP
M

medic83

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tried Tom post pics. This won't let me upload from my iPad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
labans