Crossmember Removal to Track Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was your sway bar bushing noise at low speed? Ours is literally if you back out and or pull forward in our driveway. Very very low speed
yep as soon as a wheel went down turning out of the driveway, but it could be other things as well, it can be really annoying

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen dry ball joints, tie rods. and mis-aligned or worn out pitman arms and idler arms, cause the noise you mention.
I have also seen blown control arm bushings do it (front and rear)

OP
OP
B

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am happy to report that it was in fact the crossmember. When my son got home I pulled the truck in the garage, confirmed the noise was most certainly still there (it was really loud today), loosened the nuts from the bolts and backed out of the driveway...Completely silent. Pulled back in, torqued everything down, backed out of driveway again turning the wheel both left and right and still completely silent. Really glad I'm not chasing this one anymore!

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great news.

BTW - I was the original owner of a '99 30th Anniversary Trans Am. Assuming you have/had a black 2000 SS Camaro based on your handle?

OP
OP
B

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great news.

BTW - I was the original owner of a '99 30th Anniversary Trans Am. Assuming you have/had a black 2000 SS Camaro based on your handle?
Nice!

I'm a bit of an American Muscle car guy. I've owned '71 Olds Cutlass "S", '94 Z28 M6, '00 Camaro SS M6 (with all the SLP options) which I drag raced as well as autocrossed, and last May I sold my '05 Pontiac GTO LS2 M6 with 45K. All my cars were very very nice and well taken care of (I'm somewhat OCD with vehicles). I currently have nothing other than my dirt bikes, but I think a C6 Z06 is in my future. They're just awesome cars and plenty of bang for thr buck.

robhotdog

Reaction score
We have a 2005 Tahoe 2wd. Does anyone know if I can remove the crossmemeber (below oil pan) and simply back out of my driveway just to try and diagnose a noise? Will there be any ill effects of me removing it and putting tires on the ground and simply backing up slowly? I know its probably a stupid question, and I don't believe it will hurt anything just backing up a few feet, but thought I should ask just to make sure
Miles? Not much Info on how and when. What first came to mind was U joints! I've seen first indication is Squeek In reverse. Easy ck