Crank, no start - '01 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tlynch

Reaction score
After eliminating my misfire issued with a new fuel pressure regulator, I have now moved on to a new mystery: my Tahoe died in traffic. It would crank, but not start. No codes that I know of.

It is now at the shop, and they are still struggling to find and fix a cause. The shop thought it needed a new EGR valve. That did not help. I have assumed something fuel related, maybe the pump.

For a little more detail, leading up to the incident, I started the vehicle on my driveway (died once, started on second try; drove OK), drove to the car wash, parked it and stopped the engine for awhile as I vacuumed it, started it (died once or twice, ran a bit rough), and drove toward home. It died while i was in a lane of travel, and I coasted into a left turn lane. It would crank as long as I had battery power, but never even hinted at firing up. Before that day, it had run fine for months.

How to I narrow this down?

Thanks!

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, it sounds like a dead fuel pump. But definitely check your fuel pressure before starting that job. That is the only thing I've experienced like that, without throwing codes. We experienced this both on my daughter's '03 Sierra and my wife's '05 Suburban. My mechanic figured it out the first time, replaced the pump, and they've placed thousands of issue free miles since then.

OP
OP
T

tlynch

Reaction score
Sorry to be slow with updates. I didn't get any email notifications about the replies. I blame Gmail.

No codes to my knowledge.
I don't know what all has been tested. Our conversation have centered on fuel system. I shared by worries about fuel pump; I assume he tested fuel pressure, but I don;t know what the numbers were.

When I spoke to the shop owner late last week, he provided some details of what he had been doing on the fuel delivery system. He has a '03 Yukon with the same motor that runs well , so he had been testing my components by swapping with his. Basically, his truck worked with anything from my truck, and mine did not work with anything from his.

I just talked with him today. He tested the fuel in the tank and it turns out to be 20% ethanol. He is going to drain teh system, add some clean fuel and see where that gets us.

I appreciate everyone's interest and suggestions.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to be slow with updates. I didn't get any email notifications about the replies. I blame Gmail.

No codes to my knowledge.
I don't know what all has been tested. Our conversation have centered on fuel system. I shared by worries about fuel pump; I assume he tested fuel pressure, but I don;t know what the numbers were.

When I spoke to the shop owner late last week, he provided some details of what he had been doing on the fuel delivery system. He has a '03 Yukon with the same motor that runs well , so he had been testing my components by swapping with his. Basically, his truck worked with anything from my truck, and mine did not work with anything from his.

I just talked with him today. He tested the fuel in the tank and it turns out to be 20% ethanol. He is going to drain teh system, add some clean fuel and see where that gets us.

I appreciate everyone's interest and suggestions.
if they are swapping parts to find a no start problem, I would not recomend using that shop anymore unless it's very econonically "worth it"
if they can dertermine the fuel is 20% ethanol but can't find a no start issue something is amiss... just my opinion.
draining the fuel on a 01 can be done in a matter of a few minutes, super easy
unless it's a electrical short issue a no start problem should easy to diagnose or pinpoint to a specific issue in little time as well with some basic tools

OP
OP
T

tlynch

Reaction score
if they are swapping parts to find a no start problem, I would not recomend using that shop anymore unless it's very econonically "worth it"
if they can dertermine the fuel is 20% ethanol but can't find a no start issue something is amiss... just my opinion.
draining the fuel on a 01 can be done in a matter of a few minutes, super easy
unless it's a electrical short issue a no start problem should easy to diagnose or pinpoint to a specific issue in little time as well with some basic tools
Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy