Coolant reservoir tank leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

higgens

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have 2006 Tahoe 5.3L v8 Flex and the coolant in my reservoir tank is about 3 inches below the low level line. I put a line on the tank at that level with a black marker. It is about an inch or 2 above the bottom hose of the reservoir tank.

First thing in the morning, I added half a gallon to get it to just about the low level line. 30 minutes later, I start the truck for the first time that day. As I get out of the parking space, I see a large puddle. It was about an inch below the low level line. I check it at the end of the work day and it is back to where it was before I put any extra coolant in it – my black line.

The temp gauge does not go beyond the middle (210) at all during my 30 minute daily highway commute.

I thought it might be a cracked reservoir tank. I filled it a 2nd time but I don't see any wet areas around it and again it went back to the black line. The leak seems to come from below. Is it the water pump?
Am I fine to leave it as-is for now?

2006 Tahoe Base, RWD, 5.3L V8 Flex

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I have 2006 Tahoe 5.3L v8 Flex and the coolant in my reservoir tank is about 3 inches below the low level line. I put a line on the tank at that level with a black marker. It is about an inch or 2 above the bottom hose of the reservoir tank.

First thing in the morning, I added half a gallon to get it to just about the low level line. 30 minutes later, I start the truck for the first time that day. As I get out of the parking space, I see a large puddle. It was about an inch below the low level line. I check it at the end of the work day and it is back to where it was before I put any extra coolant in it – my black line.

The temp gauge does not go beyond the middle (210) at all during my 30 minute daily highway commute.

I thought it might be a cracked reservoir tank. I filled it a 2nd time but I don't see any wet areas around it and again it went back to the black line. The leak seems to come from below. Is it the water pump?
Am I fine to leave it as-is for now?

2006 Tahoe Base, RWD, 5.3L V8 Flex

It could be lots of things. Cracked hose, bad pump, broken reservoir, hole in radiator, etc. The only way to know if you're "fine... for now" is to actually locate the leak. If you're seeing a puddle, if shouldn't be all too hard to find a drop and chase it back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts