Continental CrossContact LX tires - garbage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjrdomer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just venting here about the OEM tires that came with my 2017 Tahoe Premier with 20" wheels. What garbage. My wife drives the car mostly, and she's pretty easy on things. I have about 19k miles on it and the tires are just about finished. What garbage tires!

This is my third car with Continentals from the factory and in all 3, the most I got out of them was about 22k and that was on an Audi Q5. When I saw that the Tahoe came with Continentals, I shuddered. I can't believe they'd make such a crappy tire and that people would actually buy these as aftermarket tires and put them on their car.

I'm switching to an all-terrain anyway as these highway tires suck in anything wet. I'll probably switch to a Yokohama...every time I've put a Yokohama on a car or truck, I get about 60k out of them. Yes, I rotate every 5k.

Has anyone else gotten anything much more than 20k out of these Continentals? I'd be curious to hear. I live in the northeast so I can't drive around on bald tires like people do in California.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the goodyear eagle ls/2 or the eagle sport, great tires on dry or even extremely wet road, can't really say about snow as it doesn't snow here. excellent bang for the buck, if you shop around you can get a full set for $650 sometimes less and they go 60k

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey now I live in California and I’ve never driven on bald tires! Lol. But then again I’m not most people. I’m ridiculously **** about keeping my rides in top condition. Lol. The take off 20s I just put on from a 2015 Denali has continentals on them. Never had them but I’ve had great experience with Michelin tires. And currently my nitto dura grapplers have been awesome.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They actually get high reviews on tirerack so maybe you just got a bad set. I am religious also and wheel alignment, air pressure and tire rotation are the life of the tires.

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree, the LX tires suck, I bought my vehicles with about 30,000 miles and the tires are almost gone. I purchase summer tires and wheels anyways so I will use the LX tires for this coming winter and the trash them.

toi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting,
i run my 16 suburban on highway %95 of the time and put 73k miles on the contis without issue.
quite happy with them tbh

OP
OP
R

rjrdomer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Factory tires typically spec a softer compound. It's rare I see a factory set last worth a damn independent of the "brand"
That's an interesting thought, and you're probably correct. All 3 times I've had continentals on different vehicles, they've been factory tires.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes no sense as other owners achieve 40-50,000 miles on their factory tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC