Concerns about my 2016 Tahoe 6-speed transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CampingTahoe16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've read TONS of threads in this forum on the 2015-2016 Tahoe transmission problems. The dealer tells me they see them in the shop ALL THE TIME!

I bought this Tahoe used back in February with 86K miles on it. Funny how I didn't find any issues in my internet searches until AFTER I bought it.

So here I am with this Tahoe - it has been running GREAT! No issues so far. I got the tranny fluid flushed and filled right after I bought it.

Here's my problem - I'm about to tow a 3500 pound camper 5000 miles this summer out to Yellowstone and beyond from Alabama. My Tahoe has the MAX tow package.

Yet I feel nervous knowing that with 92K miles on my Tahoe I'm right in the range for a potential tranny failure. Besides a flush and fill - which I've already done - is there anything I can do to before I leave in 3 weeks. Any service or check that can be done to see if my tranny is about to fail? The service guy said it comes with little warning.

I mean certainly not EVERY single 2016 6-speed Tahoe tranny fails right? But I'm about to be towing a camper thru the rocky mountains - not exactly an easy peazy workload.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 8 speeds are the problem child, the 6 speed are known for the torque converter going out and taking the pump with them, even if that where to happen it's after 100k, more like 120k.
if you wanted to be pro-active about anything then get a nice billet converter put in, cheaper to do it now then later. Others will chime in I'm sure

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Install a larger transmission oil cooler first. Then make sure you install a weight distributing hitch with sway control for safety. Go for a few rides locally and see how it feels and make adjustments accordingly. Do a search about towing for more. There shouldn't be much of a problem.

Check out the condition of your trans. oil and filter when you return.

But most of all relax and enjoy the trip !

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read TONS of threads in this forum on the 2015-2016 Tahoe transmission problems. The dealer tells me they see them in the shop ALL THE TIME!

I bought this Tahoe used back in February with 86K miles on it. Funny how I didn't find any issues in my internet searches until AFTER I bought it.

So here I am with this Tahoe - it has been running GREAT! No issues so far. I got the tranny fluid flushed and filled right after I bought it.

Here's my problem - I'm about to tow a 3500 pound camper 5000 miles this summer out to Yellowstone and beyond from Alabama. My Tahoe has the MAX tow package.

Yet I feel nervous knowing that with 92K miles on my Tahoe I'm right in the range for a potential tranny failure. Besides a flush and fill - which I've already done - is there anything I can do to before I leave in 3 weeks. Any service or check that can be done to see if my tranny is about to fail? The service guy said it comes with little warning.

I mean certainly not EVERY single 2016 6-speed Tahoe tranny fails right? But I'm about to be towing a camper thru the rocky mountains - not exactly an easy peazy workload.

If it makes you feel better I have 108K miles. I have the 6 speed 6L180. Still shifts like new. I flush out the ATF fluid around every 40K miles at the dealer. I do both highway and tons of gridlock in constant jungle heat. I have zero plans on selling my Tahoe anytime soon.

I going on a road trip this week from Miami to Queens NYC and Boston. I have no concerns. I can not worry about everything.

Relax and have a good trip like Frank said!

OP
OP
CampingTahoe16

CampingTahoe16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If it makes you feel better I have 108K miles. I have the 6 speed 6L180. Still shifts like new. I flush out the ATF fluid around every 40K miles at the dealer. I do both highway and tons of gridlock in constant jungle heat. I have zero plans on selling my Tahoe anytime soon.

I going on a road trip this week from Miami to Queens NYC and Boston. I have no concerns. I can not worry about everything.

Relax and have a good trip like Frank said!
Thank you for the info and advice!

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 18 I changed out about 11 quarts of the factory fill at 24k miles to AMSOIL. Did the pan drop, installed new filter and pump remainder of old fluid out through cooler hose like many do. Was able to get out about 11 qts. I plan to swap out 6 quarts every 30k miles through the dipstick. It might be overkill but its cheap compared to a transmission rebuild. Have about 20k miles on the AMSOIL now and its still looks like when I serviced it. When I swap some fluid I will send for an analysis just to see. Maintenance is key

OP
OP
CampingTahoe16

CampingTahoe16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright gentlemen! I just got back from my camping trip! 6,053 miles, 16 states and multiple national parks! I got EXACTLY 12.0 miles per gallon. I never ran it more than 65 for the most part. The tranny fluid stayed right around 192-194 the whole way. The ONLY time it got over 200 degrees was on a few steep grades. The Tahoe pulled great! No issues whatsoever!!

268A4210.jpg

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your handy enough and feel like it I would swap out 5-6 quarts through the dipstick after towing that many miles. I did it with mine after towing about 2k. Just drove another 25k and did another quick exchange. My oil still looked really good. Probably overkill but peace of mind. Will it stop the trans from breaking. Who knows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC