Coming from a 2019 Sierra Denali, what will the ride difference be like?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texasdriver

Reaction score
Title asks it all. I have a Sierra Denali Ultimate, but I'm curious as to how a '23 Yukon Denali 4x4 will ride compared to the pickup. I hope it's going to be better! Hope to get my order in a few months, but prepared to wait a while. 1100 since May 26.

Also, has anyone mounted a radar detector high above the mirror? I am noticing the black dots on the windshield in photos, so I am curious what folks are doing these days. My current truck has plenty of glass above the mirror to hide the V1 Gen 2.

suterusu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ride is much smoother compared to a solid axle truck, especially with the Denali-standard mag ride. I have a V1 gen 2 mounted above the mirror, works great. If you're order is still at 1100, go into your dealer and change it to a '23 model year, they stopped building '22 model years, so your order won't get picked up.

WVBKW

Reaction score
Interesting timing to see this post. I have a 21 Denali Ultimate with air ride, and a 22 Suburban with air ride. The Denali had an issue and is currently at the dealer. A module for the adaptive cruise. They gave me a used 2019 Denali Ultimate Sierra to drive. Also note I have spent a lot of time in several versions of this platform.

1. The Sierra Denali Rides great, not as good as any of the GM SUVs
2. The non air ride tahoe/yukons with magnaride only are to me the most plush, soft with some body roll.
3. However the vehicles with air ride and magnaride offer incredible flexibility and a great ride. I would rate the ride of the air ride similar to your sierra on smooth roads. However the air ride handles bumps better.

So lucky for you I think you will be happy no matter which suspension system you get for your new Denali. If it were me and/or you tow anything the air ride system is by far the best option.

For the truly best ride... Suburban Z71/Yukon AT4 with air ride believe it or not. Only because of the 20" wheels though. That machine is literally like floating.

A few weeks after purchase a swapped my factory suburban 20" wheels for OEM Take of 22" wheels with Michelin Defenders (factory size). THe suburban still rides great, but as good as the 20" wheel for sure.

Its also the tires, my wifes Denali with the factory Alenza's have a very soft sidewall so it makes the ride even with the 22" wheels pretty dang good. Versus my Suburban with the Defenders definitely have a stronger stiffer sidewall. I don't mind because the defenders are such a great tire and traction is not in the same league.

Last edited:

Tahoered

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting timing to see this post. I have a 21 Denali Ultimate with air ride, and a 22 Suburban with air ride. The Denali had an issue and is currently at the dealer. A module for the adaptive cruise. They gave me a used 2019 Denali Ultimate Sierra to drive. Also note I have spent a lot of time in several versions of this platform.

1. The Sierra Denali Rides great, not as good as any of the GM SUVs
2. The non air ride tahoe/yukons with magnaride only are to me the most plush, soft with some body roll.
3. However the vehicles with air ride and magnaride offer incredible flexibility and a great ride. I would rate the ride of the air ride similar to your sierra on smooth roads. However the air ride handles bumps better.

So lucky for you I think you will be happy no matter which suspension system you get for your new Denali. If it were me and/or you tow anything the air ride system is by far the best option.

For the truly best ride... Suburban Z71/Yukon AT4 with air ride believe it or not. Only because of the 20" wheels though. That machine is literally like floating.

A few weeks after purchase a swapped my factory suburban 20" wheels for OEM Take of 22" wheels with Michelin Defenders (factory size). THe suburban still rides great, but as good as the 20" wheel for sure.

Its also the tires, my wifes Denali with the factory Alenza's have a very soft sidewall so it makes the ride even with the 22" wheels pretty dang good. Versus my Suburban with the Defenders definitely have a stronger stiffer sidewall. I don't mind because the defenders are such a great tire and traction is not in the same league.
Very informative! So there truly is a ride difference between non mag ride control and one with mag ride control (non air)? That option I'm the Tahoe requires the Sport Package. I sometimes question if it was necessary for me to order that package so this post has me feeling better, lol.

WVBKW

Reaction score
Yes for sure I believe there is a difference in mag ride and without. I drove a high country Tahoe for a week. It did not have air ride, just mag ride. It rode great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aray1288