Colorado- New to Forum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, nice to meet you.

Hehe, My wife was driving when it tore up. It left the house running and came home on a tow truck with a locked up engine and a hole in the block.

However, it's all ending well. There have been 11 months of negotiations and I have talked my wife into a twin turbo's and a 415 stroker engine. I have a stock 6.2 in there to get me through the winter.
I bet our wives were in the same driving school class! I always get mine back out of gas and low on oil when mine drives it! LOL

OP
OP
I

Ibustbravo

Reaction score
150k on a 6 speed (if memory serves) is actually over the expected lifespan.. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember the 6 speeds being problematic, with a lifespan of 80-110k.

At 150k miles with 4553 EH.. Thats an average of 32mph. Which is actually considered high MPH.. Thats not a bad thing, a good thing for you.

But the engine failing? I am thinking you had a AFM/DOD failure.. and the shop suggested replacing the engine... When all it needed was a top end rebuild.
Yea the DOD stuff failed and it was major carnage. Destroyed the entire engine, including the block. Worst carnage I've seen to date.

The machine shop gave me back some of the broken pieces, I'm going to make my wife a necklace.

I put an engine in the truck last week that I rebuilt the week prior. I didn't touch the trans or replace the converter. I brought it in yesterday to have the trans looked at but I know it's going to be a rebuild. I'm balls deep already, I'm not pulling out till it's finished.

OP
OP
I

Ibustbravo

Reaction score
I bet our wives were in the same driving school class! I always get mine back out of gas and low on oil when mine drives it! LOL
I know right? Once I passed her the keys, we reviewed the scan pattern of the instrument panel.. Oil pressure, coolant temps, trans temp.. No noises? Check? Clear right? OK.. Full throttle.. Same as she would when she's flying jets.. lol

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea... that damned DOD stuff is rather.. annoying. I had a Saab that I bought with a failed DOD. Luckily it had not done any carnage. So I pulled the head, replaced the lifter and pushrod.. And turned off the DOD system. That lasted about a year, and then the head gasket on the other side blew. I got rid of it at that point.

My Envoy has 375k (estimated, replaced odometer) miles on it, engine has never been opened to date, and she still purrs right along getting 17mpg.

I want a Denali/Esky.. But those damn engines. And in the modern trucks, I would get a diesel.. But now the interior is junk,

I cant win with GM at this point. I got a order in for a Rivian... But I am still looking at other trucks. Toyota Sequoia, Dodge Durango RT, Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT.

I know right? Once I passed her the keys, we reviewed the scan pattern of the instrument panel.. Oil pressure, coolant temps, trans temp.. No noises? Check? Clear right? OK.. Full throttle.. Same as she would when she's flying jets.. lol
Dont you know... Wives cant drive your daily driver.. Not if you want to have any sanity..

I remember years ago, I was on a business trip for 4 weeks. She used my car while I was away. Came back to the top of the engine clattering.

Asked the wife about it, "oh yea, I meant to tell you that the red light kept coming on". But she kept driving it. Oil pressure o-ring had failed. It had 1/2 quart of oil in it.

OP
OP
I

Ibustbravo

Reaction score
Yea... that damned DOD stuff is rather.. annoying. I had a Saab that I bought with a failed DOD. Luckily it had not done any carnage. So I pulled the head, replaced the lifter and pushrod.. And turned off the DOD system. That lasted about a year, and then the head gasket on the other side blew. I got rid of it at that point.

My Envoy has 375k (estimated, replaced odometer) miles on it, engine has never been opened to date, and she still purrs right along getting 17mpg.

I want a Denali/Esky.. But those damn engines. And in the modern trucks, I would get a diesel.. But now the interior is junk,

I cant win with GM at this point. I got a order in for a Rivian... But I am still looking at other trucks. Toyota Sequoia, Dodge Durango RT, Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT.

Dont you know... Wives cant drive your daily driver.. Not if you want to have any sanity..

I remember years ago, I was on a business trip for 4 weeks. She used my car while I was away. Came back to the top of the engine clattering.

Asked the wife about it, "oh yea, I meant to tell you that the red light kept coming on". But she kept driving it. Oil pressure o-ring had failed. It had 1/2 quart of oil in it.
Hahah.. oh god.. Just got a call from the trans shop, it's 6L80 is shagged. I'm looking at $3-5K + These transmissions are garbage. I have an 8L90 sitting on my shelf but it's going to take an entire harness change; which I also have, to get it working. Still debating, I have a few days.

I bought an 07 F350 from the auction with a bad 6.0 for $1500 and spent 4k rebuilding it.. It's my daily and it's been running fine for the past two years. I have 8K into it..

I've spent twice that on the Yukon purchase and now an engine and a trans? I should have bought another broken Ford truck. I'm going to loose my shirt if I get rid of this Yukon though. I just paid it off yesterday..

vinbart

Reaction score
Sorry about your engine and trans. Welcome to the forum -- wishing your luck gets better!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar