Color Matched Denali Grill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crimsonMT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nice looking paint, yeah I am in the same boat and deciding to do color match or not, have a white 04. My chrome is bubbling so i have to see what can fix that first.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice looking paint, yeah I am in the same boat and deciding to do color match or not, have a white 04. My chrome is bubbling so i have to see what can fix that first.
You can't fix the chrome on these grills. Believe me, if you go back in my thread you can see how the chrome is applied to the plastic. Once it starts to bubble or peel, you can't do a damn thing with it. Can't even strip it. I tried everything. I called the chrome shops. Since it's applied to plastic, you'll destroy the base plastic before you'll do anything to the chrome other than make it bubble more as the plastic goes to hell and becomes deformed.

crimsonMT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can't fix the chrome on these grills. Believe me, if you go back in my thread you can see how the chrome is applied to the plastic. Once it starts to bubble or peel, you can't do a damn thing with it. Can't even strip it. I tried everything. I called the chrome shops. Since it's applied to plastic, you'll destroy the base plastic before you'll do anything to the chrome other than make it bubble more as the plastic goes to hell and becomes deformed.

Thanks for the heads up, yeah i read through your post. Even though its not ideal i was thinking of chipping the loose chrome off and then epoxying the missing section to level it out at least and then prep and paint over everything. I know I will have to touch up as time goes by but that's to be expected when painting over chrome. One day I will buy a new OEM grill to paint but for now its worth a shot.

pnwdan

Cunning linguist
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, yeah i read through your post. Even though its not ideal i was thinking of chipping the loose chrome off and then epoxying the missing section to level it out at least and then prep and paint over everything. I know I will have to touch up as time goes by but that's to be expected when painting over chrome. One day I will buy a new OEM grill to paint but for now its worth a shot.
You could attempt to sand the bumps flat and then fill the pits. Chrome is hard though.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will be hard to do; when filling in a primered and painted surface you have a bit of depth to feather it out but with chrome all you have is a sharp edge so you will see the edge of the patch.

crimsonMT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It will be hard to do; when filling in a primered and painted surface you have a bit of depth to feather it out but with chrome all you have is a sharp edge so you will see the edge of the patch.

I think i will have to take the lesser of the two evils by having that slight edge vs the bubbling of the chrome. Only time will tell how it will turn out.

Fleetgeo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of good info here. I actually had one of my grilles painted at a body shop. They used adhesion promoter and then painted/cleared it. The only drawback with black is stone chips pop right through...didn't have it for long though as it met its demise from a chunk of retread being kicked up on the freeway. I ended up getting a replacement and settling for a CM emblem...besides it matches my lower grille....and I opted for the one with no tow hooks. Your front end looks nice currently but I'm sure the black grille would look great with those new lights. Love your rig BTW.

Here's mine:

full

@Red Rocket

Where you get that sick lower grill from been looking all over for one like that trucks looks amazing man

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where you get that sick lower grill from been looking all over for one like that trucks looks amazing man
That's a Denali Down Under lower grill. I have the smaller one that goes between the tow hooks. They're no longer available new but sometimes you can find a used one. Good luck though, they're getting pretty rare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_burks