Cold start ticking on driver side of 5.3 motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just started to notice that when it sits up for a few hours and I start it up it sounds like something is ticking on the driver side the motor. Havent noticed it until sunday. Just recently had the oil changed but not sure if that has anything to do with it since I checked my oil level and its fine. If I go drive it around for awhile and restart the tahoe it dont have that ticking anymore. Any ideas of what it could be? Trying to get some ideas before I bring it in to the dealership.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just started to notice that when it sits up for a few hours and I start it up it sounds like something is ticking on the driver side the motor. Havent noticed it until sunday. Just recently had the oil changed but not sure if that has anything to do with it since I checked my oil level and its fine. If I go drive it around for awhile and restart the tahoe it dont have that ticking anymore. Any ideas of what it could be? Trying to get some ideas before I bring it in to the dealership.

Hi LoHoe,

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing concerns with a ticking noise. We understand that you are seeking opinions from your fellow forum members before taking it in to the dealership. If you need any assistance reaching out to your dealership, we are always here to help. You may send us a private message here on the site with your full contact information, VIN, mileage and preferred dealership.

Regards,

Andraya
GM Customer Care

mattluttrell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many of us have the "piston slap" which is common and not bad. It is just something that happens on the early 00-03(?) 5.3s in the first 30 seconds on a cold start. I take it easy during that time and only idle.

You may have a lubrication issue in a particular part of your valve train which can be bad. Sometimes a flush can stop it ...or even cause it I believe. Might actually need a mechanic with a listener to help.

Reaction score
You also may want to check for any broken exhaust bolts that will cause a ticking tapping type noise then once everything is nice and warm everything expands and seals so the tapping is no longer heard

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really depends on how the ticking acts

1) My 05 Buick Rainer with the V8 ticks for about 30 seconds after it starts from being cold, it slowly goes away... It is the exhaust manifold, for #8 piston... I just ignore it.

2) Now a quick several ticks for about 1 - 2 seconds or so after the car has sat say overnight could be from the hydrolic lifters draining oil... Typically I have seen this happen when people start using thicker oil, Ie 10W30 instead of 5W30...

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waiteben84