Cold start grind

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevync

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 03 escalade grinds like that every once in awhile, summer, winter etc. Its done it ever since I've owned it. (2 years)

13yukonNJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Late to the party here, buy my 2013 Yukon did this the last two mornings, although it sounded much much worse than the video you posted. Yesterday was zero degrees here with a windchill around -20 and today was around 10 degrees with a -5 windchill. I've never encountered this sound before, and previously the coldest it's been when I started it was in the high teens. Next time I see the mechanic I think I'll ask him to grease up the flywheel on the starter, but normally it doesn't get cold enough here in the winter for it to make that noise.

jz57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1. The starter solenoid is on the edge. 2 ways to fix the issue, replacing the solenoid or replacing the entire starter.

Before installing new starer unit or new solenoid, removing solenoid from starter, coating silicon grease on the plunge surface of the solenoid.

[

QUOTE="67RS427, post: 1197988, member: 58790"]Solenoid is going bad. Cold weather makes it harder to engage[/QUOTE]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019