Codes P0420 & P0430

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any issues with the Walker brand of stuff?

Did you look at it? 50490 for yours? Too bad you're not down here in Florida, I know a guy who has a y-pipe with cats in his garage and doesn't need them anymore, I think.

Walker is a major supplier of exhaust components and I used them without complaint in the 1980s. Not sure who makes their cats, maybe they do?

I did not like the design of their Y-Pipe but my goals are/were different than yours. I'm keeping mine and you will be selling yours if I remember right.

OP
OP
H

h2100

Reaction score
Did you look at it? 50490 for yours? Too bad you're not down here in Florida, I know a guy who has a y-pipe with cats in his garage and doesn't need them anymore, I think.

Walker is a major supplier of exhaust components and I used them without complaint in the 1980s. Not sure who makes their cats, maybe they do?

I did not like the design of their Y-Pipe but my goals are/were different than yours. I'm keeping mine and you will be selling yours if I remember right.

It will arrive on Tues, and i'll have it installed on wed. I'll let you all know how it goes. Sensors are here already.

OP
OP
H

h2100

Reaction score
In my shops, I used Walker brand exhaust with no problems.

OK, hello again. new exhaust with new cats is installed. I reminded my trusty repair man to clear the codes. He found 5! 0420 0430 0413 & 0228. I knew about the first two. The new ones seem to powertrain control module related. Are all 5 related?

Did I mention the AC quit working this weekend, before the repair. Put it on 'auto' and the ac light flashes and does not go on.

UGH!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Did you do the new oxygen sensors with the new exhaust? Should have. Clear the codes and drive it and see what may come back. The PCM codes may stay away or it is something else to look at, like the a/c. I see new threads on the horizon from you.

OP
OP
H

h2100

Reaction score
Did you do the new oxygen sensors with the new exhaust? Should have. Clear the codes and drive it and see what may come back. The PCM codes may stay away or it is something else to look at, like the a/c. I see new threads on the horizon from you.

I did the new O2's. All 4. I was just going to repost that I will await new codes before anything is done.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, hello again. new exhaust with new cats is installed. I reminded my trusty repair man to clear the codes. He found 5! 0420 0430 0413 & 0228. I knew about the first two. The new ones seem to powertrain control module related. Are all 5 related?

Did I mention the AC quit working this weekend, before the repair. Put it on 'auto' and the ac light flashes and does not go on.

UGH!

It is not unusual for the cat codes to return within the first 50-100 miles as the new cats break in. If the code comes up, clear it and keep driving.

Those other codes I bet start with B, B0228 and B0413, those are for your AC Actuators. The former is for the recirculate or fresh air and the latter is for the driver's side temperature control. Those codes would have been followed by a "Symptom Code" such as 05 which tells us why the actuator failed and or code set.

OP
OP
H

h2100

Reaction score

Hello! Reminder, the new cats are in. Codes P0060, P013A & P013C popped up. They are all O2 related. I'll clear them out and see what happens next. The guy at the dealership indicated I may need to add a O2 'spacer' to stop the lights from coming on. He said this because the converters were aftermarket. He, obviously, could not do this work.

Make sense so far?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello! Reminder, the new cats are in. Codes P0060, P013A & P013C popped up. They are all O2 related. I'll clear them out and see what happens next. The guy at the dealership indicated I may need to add a O2 'spacer' to stop the lights from coming on. He said this because the converters were aftermarket. He, obviously, could not do this work.

Make sense so far?

Drive it some, 50-100 miles and see if the codes go away. Are those GM sensors? These trucks do not like aftermarket sensors.