" Check Windshield Washer Fluid"... ( but I just filled it up)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
2005 Yukon XL - 5.3.... ( 2 minutes ago).... Crap.... I just looked underneath.... Washer fluid leaking from a black "1" fitting at the lower reservoir..... I haven't "googled" it yet.....

Maybe an 'o' ring, or what? What is that black part? & how in the heck do I get the fluid container out of there???

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
the black thing is probably the washer pump. there are two and very prone to cracking and leaking. take battery out, go thru fender and remove the washer reservoir. The washer pumps are cheap (under 30 bucks) at your local auto parts store. easy fix.

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you get the right one. Theres 2 one for the rear and one for the front. And they have different connectors.

What happened to mine was that one broke at the seam and was leaking from there. But the part I got from advance for the front didn't work and now I have it rigged so that in order to wash the front I have to push the rear spray button. And swapping them is a pain in the ass cusbyou have to remove the battery and fender liner to remove the reservoir to swap out the motors.

And if you're lowered you will have to remove the driver front wheel

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I have changed the motors from underneath without having to pull the whole reservoir out, the motors just sit in a rubber fitting

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my pump was cracked and the tank would leak out from it. i changed it but failed to change the rubber grommet (failed to see it in the box) so now have a slow leak i need to fix one day. i still have the grommet, just not into changing it yet. whats a year later?

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow..... great information ! I will look for the pumps and that should show me how to remove/install them..... HOPEFULLY without removing the tank.

My "washer fluid low" showed up, and I filled it up ( not knowing it was due to a leak).... Boy, it takes a full gallon of the stuff !!

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i followed a vid i found on yt. remove battery and its tray and pop the inner wheel well liner free up front and you can get to all the bolts and plugs.

after taking it all apart and hearing this get to the pumps from the bottom, i might try it this time.

careful with the hoses off the pumps, they will break, if they do you can use vac line to patch em up. both of my pumps hoses off them needed repair, one broke as soon as i touched it, the other was already broken.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh pumps are at the bottom back side of the tank, so they end up between the rad support and the tank, but can be seen by looking up from under the bumper sorta

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, thanks..... Scotty-d.... after looking under, I MIGHT be able to get to the pumps by only removing the inner wheel well plastic...... I can only *assume ( * "assume" - Usually wrong )

Removing battery is only for complete tank replacement?

Scotty - d,.... do you remember the 'key words' for finding the YT video?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645