check engine light blinking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jocko PDX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Suburban with 279K miles on it. It is not my primary vehicle, and I really do not want to put a lot of money into it. I took it to the auto parts store and it is showing codes P0300, P0171, P0174, and P0332. These codes seem to revolve around fuel mix (air to fuel ratio) and engine misfire. Deficient fuel being burned in a cylinder. The suburban appears to be running fine other than the blinking light. Is this something I can ignore for a while? Or could it be an inexpensive fix at the shop? Frankly I would sell the car, but don't want to dump and old rig on some fellow or family that might depend on it running..

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"...other than a blinking light..."

NO! Fix ASAP! A blinking CEL light is indicating a misfire and you risk ruining your catalytic converters.

Given your codes, I would start by checking fuel pressure. See if the local parts store will loan you a fuel pressure gauge.

1. Hook it up, prime and record pressure. Monitor a few minutes to see if pretty stays within a few psi of prime pressure.

2. Go ahead and fire it and record pressure.

3. Increase to say, 2,000 rpm and record pressure.

Report back with results.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P0332 is the main issue here. The knock sensor code throws the timing table into what is basically LIMP mode timing. Almost no advance and base timing around 7 degrees. Had this same problem on my Silverado.
The lack of timing causes misfire thus causing all the other codes to pop up as secondary issues. Fix the knock sensors first, then clear codes and drive. The others should not come back again

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And if you don't want to get into/have time (this time of year can be busy) removing the intake you can just screw the sensors into the heads and hook them up, to get you by until you have time to properly install them. Because the code will still go away and the ecm will function as it should... thus, saving your cats and O2 sensors.

OP
OP
Jocko PDX

Jocko PDX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P0332 is the main issue here. The knock sensor code throws the timing table into what is basically LIMP mode timing. Almost no advance and base timing around 7 degrees. Had this same problem on my Silverado.
The lack of timing causes misfire thus causing all the other codes to pop up as secondary issues. Fix the knock sensors first, then clear codes and drive. The others should not come back again
what should this cost to have a shop do this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts