Charge controler generator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

since a few days my aftermarket audio switches off regulary and comes back directly. Now i have seen, that in this case the gauge for the battery is going up to 18V, sometimes drop below 12v. Propably my charge controler is about to die. I made a pic of my generator and found that fitting part:

https://as-pl.com/en/p/ARC0135

My english is not so good, so i question myself, if the charge controler is part of the "Alternator rectifieror" or is it located somewhere else?

Or does anybody has an idea, what else could cause this problem?

Car starts, battery charges, i have no other electrical issues.

Thank you in advance

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

since a few days my aftermarket audio switches off regulary and comes back directly. Now i have seen, that in this case the gauge for the battery is going up to 18V, sometimes drop below 12v. Propably my charge controler is about to die. I made a pic of my generator and found that fitting part:

My english is not so good, so i question myself, if the charge controler is part of the "Alternator rectifieror" or is it located somewhere else?

Thank you in advance
before rebuiiding the alternator I would have the battery load tested to verify it is working properly, sometimes if the battery is getting weak this will make the alternator work "overtime".
pressuming you are not getting any battery/charging light errors

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Thank you in advance
I foget your year model, but I am thinking that the ECM/PCM controls voltage to the field coil, therefore controlling alternator output. And a battery with internal shorts/opens intermittently will cause eratic voltage output. And other circuits shorting and then loosing contact can also make the alternator crazy.Maybe connect your VOM so you can see the display and watch to see if the meter and dash gauge are the same.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I foget your year model, but I am thinking that the ECM/PCM controls voltage to the field coil, therefore controlling alternator output. And a battery with internal shorts/opens intermittently will cause eratic voltage output. And other circuits shorting and then loosing contact can also make the alternator crazy.Maybe connect your VOM so you can see the display and watch to see if the meter and dash gauge are the same.
his sig says 06 esky, so it will have the RVC module, but generally if that is goofy it will throw a code i.e. charging lamp/battery indicator

all grounds and battery connections should be wire brushed and cleaned up just to be sure as well.

OP
OP
nonickatall

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your answers.

I will read tomorrow for error codes, but i have no warning lamp yet. Just the audio switch off, and the gauge went crazy for only a few seconds.

My battery is not the best, but it charges and the car starts always without problems.

What makes me wonder is, in the last time, someone come with a brocken wheel bearing, then three or four people have wheel bearing problems. I am active as well in the Chrysler LeBaron convertible scene, there are very rare problems with cylinder head gaskets. Had none for 10 years, now there where 4 people in line having a blown cylinder head gasket. :oops:

Yesterday i fixed a charge controller a Seat Ibiza, what i rarely would call a car.

And immediately i have battery charge problems....

:emotions122:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia