Ceramic Coating your Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Protecting your paint is great but they rust from the inside out here in the midwest.....

Protecting your paint is great but they rust from the inside out here in the midwest.....
I've got a 18-year-old Ram that doesn't have a speck of rust on it... lived in Northern Indiana winters all its life. They only rust out if you don't take care of them....

Attachments

• 20190808_134330.jpg
    20190808_134330.jpg
    415.5 KB · Views: 4

MrMonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always been obsessed with keeping my vehicles clean. I used to wash my 57 Chevy before going to high school every day & once/month I would wax the underbody since it had the same Emron paint.
I take off my wheels every 6 months to clean & reapply ceramic coating. Living in Oregon I even wash my vehicles in the rain.

I've been using Last Coat V2 ceramic spray for several years & is way better than wax but needs to be reapplied every 6 months & takes less than 30 mins to apply.
Taking it to the next level on my Yukon. Going to try Cquartz 3.0 ceramic coating which is good for 2-3 years but is trickier to apply.

The 50ml bottle only cost $60 but all the prep work turns into an 8-10hr project.
*Wash with wax/oil remover soap.
*Spray an iron remover then wash
*Claybar with wax/oil remover soap.
*Full paint correction
*Apply ceramic coating
*Let vehicle sit in garage 2 days before driving.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"" WHY "" ??? ( Uh, I will not comment on that dumb question ).....

I have been protecting paint on race cars ( million dollar vintage Ferraris & drag cars, etc) Hot rods, collector cars. I know the Meguier's & Mother's Polish guys well...... Ceramic is a 'cute' coating but not required. These polish companies have not canceled their carnuba & bees waxes for good reason.
They work.

Lol. You sound like some old guy who just can’t stand that something new actually is better and are going to trash talk it no matter what anyone says. Old stuff can be better than new stuff but that isn’t always the case. Of course wax works, but it lasts maybe a month at best. Ceramic offers the same protection, better shine, better beading, but lasts at least a year with proper prep from a SPRAY coating that goes on easier than wax. There are literally no downsides. When it rains, all the dirt just falls off. That never happened even with Pinnacle Souveran wax which is the best wax I’ve ever used.

These companies still sell wax because of people like you who refuse to use ceramic for whatever arbitrary reason you’ve come up with and since they’re in it for the profit, they continue to sell. Once there’s no more profit, you’ll see almost no wax on shelves.

As the kids say, you do you. Those of us who have seen the light and have better things to do than wax once a month and leave wax residue all over everything plastic will use ceramic.

Last edited:

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol. You sound like some old guy who just can’t stand that something new actually is better and are going to trash talk it no matter what anyone says. Old stuff can be better than new stuff but that isn’t always the case. Of course wax works, but it lasts maybe a month at best. Ceramic offers the same protection, better shine, better beading, but lasts at least a year with proper prep from a SPRAY coating that goes on easier than wax. There are literally no downsides. When it rains, all the dirt just falls off. That never happened even with Pinnacle Souveran wax which is the best wax I’ve ever used.

These companies still sell wax because of people like you who refuse to use ceramic for whatever arbitrary reason you’ve come up with and since they’re in it for the profit, they continue to sell. Once there’s no more profit, you’ll see almost no wax on shelves.

As the kids say, you do you. Those of us who have seen the light and have better things to do than wax once a month and leave wax residue all over everything plastic will use ceramic.
................ Relax, KID...... Good grief.....

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, no! You called me KID! With tons of unnecessary punctuation! Oh, the humanity! Well, I guess that means you win this one.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 18-year-old Ram that doesn't have a speck of rust on it... lived in Northern Indiana winters all its life. They only rust out if you don't take care of them....
I've even fluid filmed the inside of the doors and fenders. Just starting to bubble in the rear fenders. There is so much salt here it is like driving on a gravel road.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if ceramic coating is actually good for your yukon? If so what type of ceramic coating do you get and can it be done at home? What about hybrid ceramic coating?
I coated my Tahoe myself 3 yrs ago using Armor Shield IX from AvalonKing.com and reapplied it to the hood and fenders last year. The finish still shines like new (or better than new) and beads water like fresh wax. It’s an amazing product that produces an amazing shine.

It is not at all difficult to apply but the prep work can be time consuming. Applying the ceramic product is super easy and quick but you must follow all the product directions. Thoroughly wash and clean the finish and, if not brand new, clay the finish, wipe it down with IPA (alcohol) and, wearing the included gloves, apply the ceramic coating in small sections (2’ x 2’). This is important: AS SOON as it flashes (rainbow reflection), wipe off the haze with a microfiber towel (one is included in the kit). It flashes in from less than 1 minute to 3 minutes, depending on air temperature. When done, apply a 2nd coat.

If you don’t buff off the haze right away, you will have a problem. DON’T LET IT DRY TOO LONG BEFORE BUFFING!

Application needs to be done in an enclosed, dust-free area and allowed to cure for a couple of days before exposing it to rain or dew. Direct sunshine helps it cure quicker.

A teeny tiny little bottle of ArmorShield was enough to do my entire Tahoe. It only takes a few drops of the product on the included pad to treat a 2’ x 2’ area.

Do not wax after applying ceramic. Simply wash it by hand regularly using a good vehicle soap. There are special restore type washes and touch-ups but I’ve not tried them.

AvalonKing stands behind their product. When I told them that my hood was not shedding water as it did over a year earlier (it sits outside in the weather every day), they sent me two free replacement bottles. Cleaning and retreating was quick and easy - wash, clay, IPA, apply, buff.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite a while ago I saw something about the difference of protection from water spots....

Having a nice polish on your hood.....
It beads up... eventually running off or drying. ( leaving water spots?)
Or...... The water on your hood running off / falling off ( like water on a coat of oil )...

Some "German" brands ( zymol, etc ?)

I know bees wax is VERY durable..... Some good waxes have a combination of carnuba & bees...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz

Latest posts