Center console cigarette lighter not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erock7625

Reaction score
My center console cigarette lighter external port does not work. I’ve checked the two fuses (16 internal, 53 external) and they are both good. The other 4 cigarette ports all work (2 under radio, 1 center console internal and 1 rear area by hatch) and I don’t think that one port has its own fuse (or does it). All the controls on the 2nd row center console also work OK. Any ideas what to check and how do I pull apart that area to check the wires going to it?

OP
OP
E

Erock7625

Reaction score
Checked the wiring diagram and both center console outlets are served by the same fuse (16). So I guess I have to tear into the console and see if it’s the wiring or the jack itself.

Attachments

• IMG_0108.jpeg
    IMG_0108.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 14

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My center console cigarette lighter external port does not work. I’ve checked the two fuses (16 internal, 53 external) and they are both good. The other 4 cigarette ports all work (2 under radio, 1 center console internal and 1 rear area by hatch) and I don’t think that one port has its own fuse (or does it). All the controls on the 2nd row center console also work OK. Any ideas what to check and how do I pull apart that area to check the wires going to it?
the harness is right behind the rear hvac/rse control panel, the panel pops off, I would look at used rear hvac control panels (like on ebay) to see exactly where the clips are located so you don't break them or damage anything.

OP
OP
E

Erock7625

Reaction score
Ha, my kids want to charge their stuff. See I need a special T tool to pull the socket out, the GM one is like $75 but their is a Dorman one for $16 on Amazon.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha, my kids want to charge their stuff. See I need a special T tool to pull the socket out, the GM one is like $75 but their is a Dorman one for $16 on Amazon.
easily remedied I added 2 more in the 3rd row also, had a plastic cover at one time
rearr.jpg

OP
OP
E

Erock7625

Reaction score
Well that was fun getting that receptacle out. I got the Dorman T tool and it fit inside and was able to pull it out about a half inch but from there it was firmly stuck and the tool would not come out either. I did remove the console (just pry up starting from bottom) and tried wiggling and prying it and it wouldn't budge. Finally set it on a empty 5 gallon water bottle spout (the T tool fit inside and it supported it well) and just pounded with a hammer and it came out just fine. The replacement that came with the Dorman tool wouldn't fit, it was slightly thicker. GM used two type of plugs, one that is red and another that is black/white, the tool came with the black one and mine was red.

So after thinking about it I decided why even replace it if I want USB sockets anyway. I had a spare USB socket laying around that with just a little bit of grinding the edges of the hole it fit into it. I pulled the cover off the wire connector, removed the pins from it, cut them and crimped on blade connectors. It all fit together well and now I have USB ports instead of a cigarette lighter port.
2023-06-29 17.07.12.jpg

2023-06-29 17.33.30.jpg

2023-06-29 17.33.36.jpg

2023-06-29 18.09.51.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AEHaas