Carplay not uaing Google

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SmokeyJoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My phone is Android and Google works well with it. Calls, messaging, maps and all the normal functions works ok.
My wife has an Iphone 11. Carplay works fo with maps, but when you say "Hey Google" and "Call ***-***-XXXXX" it responds with a message that says "Can't call while carplay is active, use carplay".

So I called OnStar. Went through all the steps with them to restart and connect but no, same message. They decided to refer the problem to their "Technical team". A fews hours later I got a voicemail from them they supposrt carplay but can't (won't?) trouble shoot problems. They left an 800 number to call the "Connection Team". I did that, went trhough all the steps again and was told to talk to our dealership.

I went to the dealer. He says to try using "SIRI". Sure enough, everthing work using "SIRI".

So I have come to the concluson that the message "Can't call while carplay is active, use carplay" is really telling me to only use Google for Android connected devices.

My only question at this point is why didn't OnStar kow that?

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 22+ SUVs use a Google based infotainment system. With no phone connected, you can say "Hey Google" and it will respond. When you have your Android phone plugged in, it also responds to "Hey Google," because Google and Android are basically one in the same.

When your wife's iPhone is plugged in, you now have carplay running and need to tap on the carplay icon on your infotainment screen. From there, you can do phone, mapping, messages, etc. If you have "Hey Siri" activated on that phone it will respond to that, or a long press on the steering wheel button will bring up Siri for voice commands.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If CarPlay is connected, hold down the Voice Button on the steering wheel until you get the Siri Beep, release the button. At this point you will be talking to Siri. Then say "Call <contact name or phone number or whatever> and Siri will dutifully make the call, get you directions, set a reminder for you, look up something on the web, get you the weather, etc. Anything you can do after saying Hey Siri to your phone...is all right there.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My phone is Android and Google works well with it. Calls, messaging, maps and all the normal functions works ok.
My wife has an Iphone 11. Carplay works fo with maps, but when you say "Hey Google" and "Call ***-***-XXXXX" it responds with a message that says "Can't call while carplay is active, use carplay".

So I called OnStar. Went through all the steps with them to restart and connect but no, same message. They decided to refer the problem to their "Technical team". A fews hours later I got a voicemail from them they supposrt carplay but can't (won't?) trouble shoot problems. They left an 800 number to call the "Connection Team". I did that, went trhough all the steps again and was told to talk to our dealership.

I went to the dealer. He says to try using "SIRI". Sure enough, everthing work using "SIRI".

So I have come to the concluson that the message "Can't call while carplay is active, use carplay" is really telling me to only use Google for Android connected devices.

My only question at this point is why didn't OnStar kow that?
siri and google assistant are 2 different things, you have to use one or the other. you can't go on a apple device and ask google assistant, just like you can't go on a android device and ask siri